Green water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BenefulBrad

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Ever since I added flourish iron to my tank, I have had an outbreak of green water. I've been doing 25% water changes every day. Today I did a 50% change. This has been going on for 3 weeks. There is no algae build up on glass or plant leaves just my water. I've using a 250 watt hps above tank which is doing wonders on my plants and have been rising higher everyday now about 16 inches above tank.Also have a DIY co2 running. Temp is 79 degrees. What else can I do to get rid of this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
A 250w high pressure sodium bulb with DIY c02? I think you don't have enough c02 for starters. Daily water changes and probably decrease your photo period untill it goes away

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Cloudy water and green water can sometimes be confused with eachother. Put some tank water into a white coffee mug to tell if it is actually green.

How big is your tank? I dont know much abut HPS bulbs but a quick search put the few that i found in the 2,000K range which is a bit too low, IMO, for a planted tank. and no matter what....250W is way too much unless you are lighting up a pond. I would cut down on the photoperiod...

remember, although CO2, fertz and lighta re all important the reallife order of importance is: CO2 is most important, fertilizers are second, light is third.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
How about some specifics? Tank size, how long the lights are on,etc. Not sure what plants you have growing out of the water, but plant choice could help solve your problem. Emergent plants with larger leaves that would form somewhat of a canopy and shade the surface of the water would certainly help with and could solve the problem. Again tank size will dictate plant choice.

BenefulBrad

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Tank size is 29 gal. I have Anubis. Java fern. Micro sword. There is 4 Cory cats. 2 flying fox. 4 baby key hole cichlids 1 inch. Turn lights on at 12 noon off at 8 pm. I dose small amounts of some tetra brand plant fert 5ml for 5 gal but have cut down on that since green water. It's definitely green water. I use white buckets for water changes.i know the light is sort of odd but have had great success growing plants in aquariums with it. The tank has been beautiful and the plants have been growing like crazy and the micro sword has many runners. It was a mistake to add iron and haven't done since. I have done so many water changes that I think maybe triple the total of tank. The green water doesn't seem to be affecting plants and algae build up on glass and plant leaves is minimal to none. I have the co2 on the tank because the tank was have hair alga problems. Adding co2 has removed this. Thanks for the help. I hope this information is what was needed

BenefulBrad

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
The light us now about 24 inches above the tank and I added some blurry plexiglass on top of tank to lessen the amount of light. Do you think more co2?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store