"GROW YOUR OWN" LIVE AQUARIUM PLANTS - bulbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
for some reason in my experience aponegetons tend to do better if they are the only kind of plant in the tank. I started out with those as plants and as I began to get other plants after some months of growing just those they incrementally declined as I put other plants in the tank.

I also have some regular aponegeton bulbs that were already growing and they did really well untill I put other plants in the 5 gallon tank they were in. They don't compete for nutrients against other plants very well in my experience. It may have something to do with the low tech no ferts added way I was growing them.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
FYI. When you first get those bulbs, you can either put them in your aquarium but don;t bury them until you start to see growth or get a bucket of wet sand and place the bulbs on top and put them in a dark place until they start to show growth. Either way, once they show growth then place them in your substrate in your aquarium. When you open the packet, press each one between your fingers. If they are soft are mushy don't even bother to try to grow them. No good. If you put them in your tank and they float, they might or might not be ok. Wait a week or two.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i grew them pretty cool plants and you dont have to do anything for them. i sent some back and they gave me about 3 new ones for each seed i sent it.

tyella

My heaven has a beer volcano - FSM
Feb 18, 2005
Columbia, Missouri
I have had good luck with the Apo's in the past, but have tried again recently with mixed results. 2 are rotting for every 1 that sprouts. Still not a bad deal, as long as the moldy goo isn't horrible for my tank.

I have a question about the lilies. I'm thinking of trying them, but I don't want a floating leafed plant in my tank. Can I keep the leaves submersed by trimming?

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
How long did it take for your replacement bulbs to come in blitzen25bm? I tried those bulbs and only two sprouted, one Apo (going nuts) and one lilly. I sent back the rest about ten days ago.

Nov 25, 2004
Indiana
I bought 2 one sprouted quick, the other is just now sprouting(2months later), I figured since it wasn't rotten, I would keep it in there. Do not bury the bulb as others have said.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Tyella,

Just keep triming the pads back. Take them off at the base need the seed. You lower leaf will be bigger and fuller. Lovely plant. Later, let pads go to the surface to see if they flower!

Nov 25, 2004
Indiana
I think I got like two or three leaves, then the floaters came! It was really quick and they just kept coming. I have heard they go dormant after flowering too, not for sure tho.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
for the ones sold at walmart, what address do you send them back to? some of mine are not sprouting and want to send back. thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store