"GROW YOUR OWN" LIVE AQUARIUM PLANTS - bulbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

troycorechick

AC Members
Apr 26, 2006
I got two packs of each to put into my 72g... a week later (yesterday) I had to take them out. One of my fish died, and a few more look like they are one their way out
:-( The ones that didn't start growing had fuzzies on them. I took them and a water sample to the fs and they had me get furazone-green. I hope no more die... has anyone else had this problem? (re-posted to help you, didn't see this when I posted in other)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
You don't have to start the bulbs in your aquarium. I didn't stick any in mine until they sprouted.

I had some I dumped into a clear container I sat in the kitchen window..I took several bulps in there then took the rest and placed them in a damp paper towel, wrapped them up, put them in a ziplock bag and placed them in a warm spot(ontop of your water heater is a good spot) check on them once in awhile.if they sprout add them to the tank.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
Does anybody know of a good mail-order source for getting a bunch of those aponogeton bulbs? There used to be someplace where you could order 25 - 50 of them, and they turned out to be reallly inexpensive at that price.

kblane

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
As for ordering mass quantities, aquariumplants.com might have them . . . or try freshwateraquariumplants.com

I think I've seen aponos on there before.

monstash

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
New Castle, PA
good stuff

I've had the apon. bulbs grow well for me in a 5 gallon aquarium. Like someone said earlier if u cut the shoots off the plant it will grow fuller. I'd say I cut off 3-4 shoots off to get to the desired amount of leaf that I prefer. IMO I like the bulbs...although they don't always work, u can send them back and get extras. I just sent 5 back and they gave me about 12 new bulbs. Good deal, especially since I have just decided to plant my 55 gallon tank...I have a question, maybe someone will kno-The sent me 3 bulbs that I have never seen before, and I just planted one of them earlier today...they are big round dark brown 'balls' a little smaller than golf balls..can anyone identify what they are going to be?

monstash

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
New Castle, PA
Hopefully they'll grow so we can find out for sure...thanks for the help

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
my aponogeton sprouted a coule weeks ago.

I didn't trim any shoots (what shoots?)

When I came back this weekend from out of town the bulb was floating on the top of the tank and there is a long shoot with a flower on the end?

Can I put the bulb back in the substrate and submerge the apparent flower?

What is the best thing to do in this case?

only 2 of the 6 in the package sprouted... I tried the Lillies again as well and they both sprouted this time.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Hmmm, I'd cut the flower stalk off so it doesn't try to go to seed. Supposedly they only seed so many times and then the plant can go dormant again. Mine try to send up at least 1 seed stalk a week and I have to cut it out. I swear, sometimes they grow up to the water surface overnight!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store