Hair Algae AGAIN??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I'm asking these question because on my tank, I currently have no CO2 and no additional nutrients. I am about to try DIY CO2 but at a slow rate. I am a bit scared of big pH drop because I've never tried this before.

Given this, would I need to introduce additional nutrients? I'm just afraid of trippling the algae growth resulting from this experiment... :D

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
i think the lighting has to be higher for you to need nutrients with co2, somebody correct me if i am wrong. Low light tanks can benefit from co2 but i still dont think they also need ferts.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I doubt you get enough Co2 to keep up with that much lighting. I have to use 3 bottles on my 30 gallon with only 2wpg. I started getting hair algae and GSA until I added the other bottle. The hair algae is still lingering a little on the slower growing plants (crypts mainly)...
I am only using half of my lighting so right now its basically 65w that I am using against a 29 gallon tank, so that's like what 2.4wpg? With the double dose of CO2 do you not think that it will help at all?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm asking these question because on my tank, I currently have no CO2 and no additional nutrients. I am about to try DIY CO2 but at a slow rate. I am a bit scared of big pH drop because I've never tried this before.

Given this, would I need to introduce additional nutrients? I'm just afraid of trippling the algae growth resulting from this experiment... :D
Don't worry about pH drops. Your TDS will stay the same and that is what affects the fish.

I wouldn't think algae would explode from just adding Co2, in fact usually the opposite happens as a lot of planted tanks are carbon deprived and the increase in plant grow cuts back algae growth. Nutrient and lighting imbalances usually cause algae. I could be wrong though...

I am only using half of my lighting so right now its basically 65w that I am using against a 29 gallon tank, so that's like what 2.4wpg? With the double dose of CO2 do you not think that it will help at all?
It will definitely help but I'm honestly not sure to what extent. I don't have enough experience dealing with this algae to say 100% either way.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Hmmm. I was thinking more of the "less than 2wpg" area. So...

With that lighting I would look into dry ferts, otherwise the light would be overkill compared to the plants growth rate which could lead to algae.

Sorry for hijacking Pudge.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
If that's the case, I might as well reduce the lighting further to around 1.5wpg... My main focus at the moment is to get rid of algae and not let it appear in significant ways rather than to grow more difficult plants...

And my apology too for hijacking... :D

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Don't worry about hijacking, we're all here to learn!! And if this can help others then go right ahead, it helps me to learn by reading it also.

If the CO2 does not give the results that I'd like, I was thinking of just doubling the output, either change from a 600ml bottle, to say a 2L and increase the volume of sugar/water/yeast (all in proportion to the size etc.) hoping that this would produce a larger C02 flow.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I have been browsing around this topic for a while since 2 weeks ago when I discovered hair algae that is going out of control. From what I have read so far, the next most logical thing to do is to do CO2 without going too fancy with nutrients. It even worked for some at our light wpg levels.

At least its something new - who knows I could get addicted into plant tanks eventually. D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store