Hair Algae AGAIN??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
This morning I woke up and noticed that there was less hair algae, but I'm not sure as of why.. I'm thinking a combination of all of the things I did, Flourish Excel (which I shouldn't have for the Vals sake..) CO2, and I noticed a couple Platies munching away at it, hopefully more is gone by tomorrow, I'll let everyone know!

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sadly, I've been keeping my eye on the tank, and it looks like the hair algae is continuing to spread, I think what had stopped it for a brief period of time was the Flourish Excel.

Since those do not work, and to be honest I can't afford to get pressurized CO2 right now, I was considering getting Siamese Algae Eaters, I have read that they will actually eat hair algae and are not aggressive, what is everyone's thought on this as a temporary solution?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Nice solution, but won't solve the problem itself. They are great fish from what I have heard so I see no reason not to get some simply for the sake of having a good fish while still trying to resolve the algae issues on your own.

But...what size tank again? stock?

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Size and Stock:
29g 6 Cardinal Tetra, 4 Phantom Tetra, 2 Gold Twin Bar Platy (Female, 2 Pregnant?), 1 Sunburst Platy (Female), 1 Red Platy (Male), 6 Leopard Danios

I was thinking of adding the one Siamese Algae eater because I do have algae and nothing to get rid of it, causes a lot more maintenance on my part, and sadly with work and such, I don't always get the chance to clean it as thoroughly as I'd like, as well I've been looking for a fish that does this for a while now.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
From what I have read, most of the sources I have seen say 25-30 gallons, most have said 25. Can anyone else offer an opinion on this?

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
From what I have read, most of the sources I have seen say 25-30 gallons, most have said 25. Can anyone else offer an opinion on this?
I'm interested in knowing this too... In my application, I specified a tank with minimum footprint of 24x12, which does sound a bit too small. I think 25g is a 30x12 tank.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd say a 29 gallon or 30 inch tank is just about the minimum size for an SAE. They get to a good four inches, with quite a lot of body mass. I have had one alone in my 40 gallon and have had no algae problems to speak of in the past year.
They are not the most charming fish IMO, and can be a bit aggressive at feeding time, but one may take care of your hair algae problem.

Pudge

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, that's what I had read, and hopefully it doesn't out grow my tank, cause I would like to keep one.. Maybe in the timespan it takes for it to get that large I could get a larger aquarium also! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store