Healthy Angelfish with stuff hanging from his fins - keeps going away and coming back

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
Thanks for asking - Beastie and the rest are doing well - knock on wood. There has been a steady decline in the appearance of the lesions - almost none in the past few weeks - I hope it was a case of non contagious lymphocystis or similar viral infection. The other angels seem fine and I am still counting neons - I had 10 and there are too many plants to count them without second guessing - I haven't found any fat angels so I think they are still safe :) The male koi angel has gotten larger and is no longer allowing beastie to boss him around, he's been standing his ground - if they (or the other pair) decide to have babies - I'm going to have to speed up the move to the new tank...

The new tank is coming along - I've bought most of the expensive stuff (tank, stand, Eheim 2028 filter) off Craigslist to save money - I just purchased the inline CO2 diffuser from GLA. Orlando is fantastic at answering questions! I still need to source the T5 lighs and the small stuff (inline hydor heater, substrate, driftwood, and minor pieces) - budget is restraining me on speed. I have a grand spreadsheet with data, links, cost, etc :)

I will make a thread and post pictures, etc when I start the transition process. I cleaned up the stand and repainted and added modern handles - I'm seriously considering having the light suspended instead of sitting on the rim of the tank - that will require a bit more DIY work, but we'll see.

What are you up to? Any fun projects? I have a feeling you're helping save sick fish on here :)

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Waiting for water to warm up for boys to go net fishing for s/w tanks :dive2:as well as to return what we have caught last summer back to ocean. Hopefully they dont end up on someone's dinner plates :help2:although fed them well with T-bone steaks, Pork chops, Shake & Baked Drums :D.

Although got rid of all the large tanks (300, 265. 180, etc, etc), You should see what I got sitting dry, collectng dusts for next opportunity to run additional tanks. For this to happen, must accomplish many "Honey Do Days" missions for Queen's Approval?:nono:

Although I dont know much but Trying my best to help, at least I think, to pay back some debt for all the pains and agonies I may have imposed on fish as well as trying to stay on top of things via forums/books, just in case I returned to industry.

Wondering if reusing old substrates for new tank? If not, there are easier ways to make the transition. At least get the new tank water establishing provided new tank isnt going on same location as old.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm considering it - The advice from most planted tank enthusiasts is to cycle the filter with the old tank so it's holding a lot of beneficial bacteria and use brand new substrate, just the mulm from the old tank to seed.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Regardless, you can at least start cycling new tank as of yesterday w/o adding inducers(NH3/fish). Utilize bio-activities/detritus from exisitng well-established tank and you dont even have to run the filters on 30G, just run it on new tank.

afa a lot of bacteria remark, tank will only have enough bio-activities to handle its biomass/load theoretically and as many have posted. It's not that important issue as all you need is some to jump start, sort of. Think about it!

When upgrading or even downgrading, a mag pump with hose/large clean vinyl container will come in handy, not that you must have one.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
Regardless, you can at least start cycling new tank as of yesterday w/o adding inducers(NH3/fish). Utilize bio-activities/detritus from exisitng well-established tank and you dont even have to run the filters on 30G, just run it on new tank.

afa a lot of bacteria remark, tank will only have enough bio-activities to handle its biomass/load theoretically and as many have posted. It's not that important issue as all you need is some to jump start, sort of. Think about it!

When upgrading or even downgrading, a mag pump with hose/large clean vinyl container will come in handy, not that you must have one.
We should end this thread and move the discussion of a new tank to the appropriate place? I'm afraid of getting cyber yelled at, haha :)

I know the detrius can set up the biomass and the bio filter adjusts to the amount of fish poop - I'm with you on all of that.

I haven't set up the tank yet, it will be sitting where the old one is so I'll literally tear down one and set up the other in one day. I can't do this partially - the tank has such thick glass that it takes two people to move it totally empty. So that will all have to happen on the same day.

You read my mind :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store