Hello folks! Need some advice on starting up in the hobby.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I can't see any times it's appropriate. That's just c**p. If you ever have to kill something at least have the moral fibre to do it properly and humanely. But flushing just because it's 'past it's function'..... - is it appropriate to kill old people because they can't work anymore?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Weighing in here. Purchasing fish with the express purchase of flushing them when they 'out live their usefulness' is not a good practice. Fish should not be purchasd if you do not intend to keep and care for them their entire life.

Please DO NOT advise people to flush live fish. There are a number of other issues relating to this, as well. What you choose to do is your business, what you encourage others to do in this forum is the business of mine, and other mods. Advice that is contrary to accepted good practices are not encouraged.

virangos

AC Members
Mar 1, 2003
Whitehall PA.
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF FISH
Actuall I think it's more a disease.
IF you have acess to BIOSPIRA go for it. I didn't use it and my tanks always cycled fine. TEST TEST TEST. so you get a good idea how it's going. You can also toss in a cocktail shrimp to get things going. I'v been told to use clear ammonia{if you go that route}
No perfumes and such. Hope this helps. Good luck

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Tando,
We here at Aquaria Central all share a common love for aquaria, but more importantly, we also share a respect for the life we keep in those little glass boxes. The kind of person that would suggest flushing a fish after you are finished "using it" obviously has very little respect for life. Seek help, and give up on giving fish keeping advice. :rolleyes:

To anyone reading this thread that thought his suggestion was ever worth considering, please listen to the good advice on this board regarding cycling. Fishless cycling is both better for your tank in the long run, and far less cruel to the fish doing the cycling. It is the mature, responsible way of doing things. I've been in this hobby for almost 20 years now, and fishless is the way to go.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Bravo Corax. I am getting sick of disposable fish. Just because a fish is cheap to buy and easy to breed doesn't make it less of a fish than a super pricey discus. My tank of white clouds is testiment to that.

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
I agree completely on that. Back when I kept freshie tanks, I LOVED my school of Zebra Danios. They were so energetic and added a lot of life to the tank.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
The kind of person that would suggest flushing a fish after you are finished "using it" obviously has very little respect for life. Seek help, and give up on giving fish keeping advice.
Although I fully agree that the advice to throw away fish should not be given, and that is it not a good practice or attitude to buy anything you don't intend to keep properly for life, I don't find it nearly as appalling as the quote Above. To suggest that someone doesn't have respect for life, and that they should seek help because they flushed a few fish is not only offensive and rude, but way way out of line. IMO Orion Girl said what needed to be said. The advice shouldn't have been given on this forum or any other

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Simply put your way is to kill fish that you don't think deserve to have a full life or don't meet your standards. Put that disclaimer with your advice.

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Originally posted by Tando Murphy
But with over 30 years in the hobby, I don't have the moral/ethical dilemma many have with flushing fish.

The day you lose that dilemma is the day you need to take up growing flowers or making pottery instead of caring for living creatures.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
The day you lose that dilemma is the day you need to take up growing flowers or making pottery instead of caring for living creatures.
:shake:

Once Again I find this appalling. My thought would be that if you can't handle other people's views Corax, maybe you should quit giving advice on these forums. As said before this is advice I would not have given to a newbie, but it isn't a crime for Tando Murphy to express an opinion especially one backed by 30 years experience. Euthanasia is a part of husbandry, there is some ethical dilema in the reasons for it, but in a real sense we are all keeping animals in small glass boxes, for our own entertainment purposes. I am sure many people could find an ethical and moral delima with that as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store