HELP ASAP ASAP ASAP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
I have a celestial too, and I can assure everyone that jamieandrich have a celestial. They can have 'sacs' around their eyes, but the eyes either point up, or up and inwards. Here is a pic of my fish for comparison.

Anyways, IMO there are a way too many agressive fish in that tank for the celestial. We have a rainbow shark (similar to the red tails) and he chased a shubunkin goldfish 3x his size in a 75g mercilessly. The shubunkin is a single-tailed fish, which is the only reason I think she escaped with merely ripped fins. It's good we were only housing her there temporarily. The algae eaters will start attacking other fish when they get to be about 3 inches or so, and will latch onto other fishs' sides and try to suck their slime coats (not sure what size yours are). The betta could definately have attacked the celestial. I'm not sure about the other fish, but I highly recommend moving the celestial to his own tank at least until he grows much bigger. I'm just speaking from experience with my own fish - due to the fact that my celestial has to swim at a 45 degree angle in order to see ahead of him, he tended to have problems just swimming against the current in my 50g. I think your little guy will be much happier in a 10g for a while, maybe with those neons (which you're going to lose to your ghost knife sooner or later, along with the cherry barbs and eventually the goldens.)

If you do end up putting your celestial in his own tank for good, you can build up your golden barb school to keep him company. Golden barbs, zebra danios, and white clouds are some types of fish that do well in temps down to 67 or 68 degrees farenheit. You could keep your tank around 70 to 72 degrees and they would all probably do well.

Lastly, I would recommend doing a little research on the other fish you have in that tank. I don't know much about cichlids but I do know they prefer pH's of at least 8, while the rest of the freshwater fish in there (as far as I know, not sure about the tiger barbs etc.) like the pH to be around 7 or even 6.5. You also have many, many different temperature requirements in that tank: The high end for the celestial (76 degrees) is the low end for at least the cherry barbs and the betta. I have a feeling that as your fish grow, keeping them all together in that 110g will start causing problems, then more problems, then disappearing fish, then disease and death :(

Good luck with your little guy!

eyestothesky.jpg

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC

jessicar613

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Kentucky
I don't know much about cichlids but I do know they prefer pH's of at least 8
This is true for Rift Lake cichlids, but an angel fish is South American and is fine with a lower ph.

Sorry didn't see the parrots on there. They should also be fine.

Last edited:

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
The algae eaters will start attacking other fish when they get to be about 3 inches or so, and will latch onto other fishs' sides and try to suck their slime coats (not sure what size yours are).
This is true of Chinese algae eaters, but is unlikely to happen if the OP has true Siamese algae eaters. The flying fox looks extremely similar to the SAE though, so if the OP actually has flying foxes, then I wouldn't rule them out- much more aggressive temperament than SAEs as they get larger. Otherwise, my prime suspects would be the blood parrots. A slow-moving goldfish really does not belong with cichlids of any type.

I'd quarantine the fish, if possible, and treat with Melafix or Pimafix as per the instructions on the package. If you don't think that's working (it should work fine in a clean tank), then you can use something stronger, like Maracyn. Maracyn will affect your bio-filter though, so keep a test kit handy. The goldfish should be fine.

rcarltonj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Celestials, Bubble Eyes, and Telescopes should always be kept isolated from other varieties of fish/goldfish. Also, no sharp rocks, plastic plants, or intake tubes.

These guys are all visually impared. They can't compete with other kinds of stronger, hardier fish. Some people will say that they've kept them together with other fish for years with no problems. In my view, those people are either lucky, or extremely good fishkeepers.

Rich

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
I agree. That was why I did not put Celestial eyes/Bubble eyes/Telescopes eyes in my goldfish tank because my Ryukins & Orandas are faster than them.

Because their protruding eyes cause poor vision, telescopes should ideally be kept with other fancy goldfish with impaired vision: bubble eye, celestial eye, or other telescopes.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescope_eye
Celestials, Bubble Eyes, and Telescopes should always be kept isolated from other varieties of fish/goldfish. Also, no sharp rocks, plastic plants, or intake tubes.

These guys are all visually impared. They can't compete with other kinds of stronger, hardier fish. Some people will say that they've kept them together with other fish for years with no problems. In my view, those people are either lucky, or extremely good fishkeepers.

Rich

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I heard of a pleco that sucked an eye off a tankmate.

I have a black moor. He bumps in to everything. I feel up everything that goes in the tank to make shure it theres nothing he could catch an eye on. His two tankmates dont allways let him school with them and he will sulk when he is not included, but whe he is included he will take advantage of them after a bit and start trying to get them to lay eggs.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store