HELP-Boyfriend out of town, NO CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH DISCUS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
Oh, and for a quick update...the two that are left don't look brown anymore, they're closer to the red/orange color they were before.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good deal!!!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Wow... this thread is like a reality show I can't turn off.

Good luck number1 and way to be there Rb & Ms! Tech support here is sooo much more timely than the cable company! lol

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Jinkz and I love to tag team the help!

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
You are a life saver! I commend your quick thinking and use of this forum. Your boyfriend will be happy you were able to resolve the problem quickly without a total loss.

I keep my fingers crossed hoping someone in your area will stoke you out with some new juvies for free or super cheap to reward your efforts.

You also might want to rinse or replace the filter cartridge. It is likely to have taken in a big load of food too. It will continue to contaminate the water if so.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you did a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess..

those are young discus at 2" nose to tail. and they do benefit with several feedings per day..
but the key is with young discus is to clean uneaten food ..
discus are foragers with large bodies and small digestive systems..they are constantly on the search for food.
Discus at this size and age should be fed at least 3 X per day..small feedings just what they will consume in 5-10 minutes.(if possible)

then clean up the uneaten food.

water changes are important at this age and should be done several times per week.. you did that when you controlled the issue at hand.

i suspect the food falling into the tank caused a jump in ammonia. aka mini cycle.

Great job

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
Well, I'm back in town now and first I want to say thanks to everyone who helped my girlfriend. I am very sad to have lost the six discus(especially because of their cost), but I was simply rushing too fast to get them settled before I left the country. I should have waited to received them once I got back, but I thought I could get everything squared away.

I never thought that the automatic feeder would fall into the tank. It's an eheim and I used the velcro that was supplied with it. Now I am contemplating whether or not to replace the discus or completely give up the hobby. I lost the six discus, plus the show tank that I was going to use has a crack in it. So starting over would be extremely costly.

THanks again for everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store