Help!!! Bubble Eye Goldfish Convulsions!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Vyper said:
The reason I suggested salt was because I'd read earlier in the thread that the fish may have ICH or parasites or something, eitherway a course of salt would have probably helped, however since the nitrates are 160 then I afgree partial water changes will help bring this down. Not sure though why your addingg baking soda is this to try and change the PH ?. Your PH will most likely improve and get closer to 7 as you do more water changes dont try and alter the PH at the moment just keep doing the water changes and see how that goes first. Because if your adding chemicals to alter PH you'll just take them out with your water changes.
The baking soda is to stablize the KH, to prevent the tank from crashing again. However if the small, frequent water changes are being done to return the tank back to the source parameters, it should be unnecessary.

Roan

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Bitsy said:
Also don't forget to get that temp down, 78* is just too warm for goldfish

From http://petcaretips.net/bubble-eye-goldfish.html

Although goldfish are cold water fish, fancy varieties prefer that water temperature be kept between 76 and 78 °F. be careful as some times it can be
erratic. At these temperatures, however, it is crucial that the
surface of the water be agitated enough to provide adequate
oxygen (lethargy and gasping are common symptoms of oxygen
deprivation, which may occur in still water anywhere above 70
°F). Using sufficient air stones and bubble walls to achieve
reasonable oxygen exchange, Bubble Eyes and other fancy goldfish
varieties may remain healthy up to 90 °F. ( I don't recommend trying anything over 80).

From http://www.networkcpr.com/goldfish/Types_of_goldfish.html

Tempature: 70*F.-80*F

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_Eye

fancy varieties prefer that water temperature be kept between 76 and 78 °F.

Not trying to start anything but there is a difference between regular and fancy type goldfish.

I have a fantail that has always been in the tank, going on about 3 or 4 yrs, with tropical fish at 78 degrees and is doing very well.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
IceH2O said:
. . .
I have a fantail that has always been in the tank, going on about 3 or 4 yrs, with tropical fish at 78 degrees and is doing very well.
True, and I think it also depends on the original breeder. If the fish have been bred X generations in warmer water, then they've gotten used to it and can be kept in warmer water.

Those that have continued to be bred in cooler waters, IMO, need to be kept cooler. Bloodline, if you will, and it depends on the fish.

My fancies stress at anything over 78*, so I keep them at room temperature, 74*.

Just my 2 cents
Roan

smoses

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
25% water change done just now.
New water readings:
Nitrate STILL 160
Ammonia .25
PH 7.6
Nitrite 0
Still realy poor readings. :sad: I was thinking I should step up the water changes...maybe 25% 2 times a day??? Mr Bubble Eye is still convulsing but it seems like there might be longer time in between the convulsions....The other bubble eye isnt having this reachion and neither is my angel fish. However we did notice that she, (the Angel fish) was hanging out at the top, almost like she wanted to get out of the tank. She seems to be settling back down to the middle of the tank somewhat. I am glad my fish are strong or I would probably have lost them.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
keep doing those daily 25% changes and eventually those numbes will come down. going to fast will shock the fish and that won't be fun ;)

keep on it and they will be better in no time :)

smoses

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
We did a 25% more water change....Total 50% for today.....

New Water readings:

NitrAte: 80
Ammonia .25
PH 7.6
NitrIte 0

I read about OTS. I am off to Pet Smart to get them some new toys.

smoses

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
Another 25% water change done...

New water readings:
NitrAte 60
Ammonia .25
PH 7.6
NirIte 0

Durring todays water change we added a bubble wall with a new pump. My angel fish seems to be enjoying all the attention the tank is getting.
My other bubble eye is TOTALY lovin the bubbles!!!

Mr Bubble eye is still in his little tank...Convulsions are decreasing tho they still look extremely uncomfortable and he still isnt eating. We do have hope for him now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store