HELP cichlid problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Jun 2, 2010
well if i took the fish back to the store could i keep the 30 gallon for a while with 1 or 2 more compatible fish

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Take the africans out til you get a bigger setup keep the Tiger Barbs add 8 more Tiger Barbs to make a full colony maybe add a small cories.

When you get a 55gal rock the tank out add about 18 small Mbuna in 3 sets of 6 fish

1 set of Yellow Labs total 6 fish
1 set of Acei total 6 fish
1 set of Rusty's total 6 fish

Stay away from auratus, chipokee, Johanni, Bumblebee's, Kenyi and Zebra's these will be your killers, the above stock list is aggressive but not as aggressive as the ones i told you to stay away from.

Once you become acquainted with Africans you can try the more aggressive species down the road.

As for Red Zebras and Yellow labs they can hybridize with each other..

Or you can go ahead and try those fish and see how much money you can throw away.. Good luck..

AC Members
Jun 2, 2010
well iv had all of the fish for about a year and called the pet store today and they said they dont want any of them what now i have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon and bout $30 till the fall

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The above list i mentioned will give you a good assortment of colors Yellows, blues, browns with purple iridescent markings..

You have had the Auratus for a year with all the other fish you mentioned and it hasn't killed a fish yet.. Wow thats some luck my friend they are killers in small setups..

Good luck aye..

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
+5 with everything everyone here has told you. I had Rusty's years ago, they were breeding machines. I eventually turned them into my LFS, who gave them their own tank. Thought it was "sweet". Yeah, well, the owner def knew what he was doing. He sold fry off from them for years. Good business man.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Wait if you have had these fish for a year how come they are only an inch long?

i have 3 cichlids and 2 tiger barbs in a 30 gallon cichlids are bout 1 inch
well iv had all of the fish for about a year

Also I agree with Pitt but I find red zebras to be hit or miss. For some (like me) they turn out to be killers. For others they work great. They will cross breed with yellow labs though.
The list Pitt listed is the best beginner mbuna set up you can find. I don't care for rusties so I like species like cynotilapia sp "hara"

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Well, a Cynotilapia species can be a substitute for the Rusties. They are in the same level of aggression, as I have read many times.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Hey Blue its because of the small setup they aren't growing correctly poss no water changes as well..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store