HELP!! Fish are dieing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
iv had the tank up for months and i have not changed a thing. Everything i do now is the same as when i first set it up. I think ima add some salt and see if that will help.
Not a good idea. The use of salt is debated, but here on AC the general consensus is that it isn't necessary nor useful unless battling ick.

Also, if your test kit doesn't read exact numbers, then I doubt you are really cycled. Get yourself a good liquid test kit or take a water sample to the LFS.

If the levels aren't:

Ammonio: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: <40

That's probably your problem.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree.

I'm assuming you are using the API test so either you are not doing the nitrate test correctly (its the easiest to screw up out of all the tests) or you're not cycled.

The only way you have 0 ppm nitrate is if you have a lot of plants (a rarity in goldy tanks) or just did a near 100% water change.

We can only guess what the problem is w/o exact params.

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
well i did a HUGE water change, i actually switched to sand, and i am still losing fish. My readings are
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-5ppm
What is happening? what should i do? They still dont show any sign of disease besides being dead.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I must be showing signs of senility because I swear I moved this in the main FW Disease forum when I should have done it in Coldwater. Anyway, I moved it again. Sorry about that. It's just stress getting on me.:uhoh:

Could you please confirm the date printed on your test kit packages? I'd question your kit's reliability because you say your water parameters are okay per the results despite continuous problems.

How long were your goldies in the tank since you quarantined them? Check their poop. How does it look? What color are their gill tissues?

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
ill check all that, im not actually home right now. Its not the goldies anymore, now its my neon tetras that are dropping like flys.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
What is your water source like? Do you give your water-change water any treatment before use? Well-water may become contaminated by outside sources, and municipal water may have high levels of chlorine or other additives. Products like Prime / Aquasafe / Amquel can help to condition water with these problems. It is also advisable to let water "sit" for a while before adding it to the tank, if only to let the temperature match the room more closely.

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
my PH is around 7.8. Well water around here is very hard. I put mopani wood in my tank to bring it down.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What a weird issue.:confused:

Are all your fish from the same source?
How long have the neons been in your tank?
What is the temperature of the tank currently?
What do you feed your fish?
How long do you keep the food prior to opening the package?
Could you please check what your KH and GH are?

I am sorry about the added questions but we do feel it necessary that we get answers from those to make it easier to determine the cause.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store