HELP!! Fish are dieing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
I understand, i too am confused. I get the fish from a couple of different sources. The neons have been in the tank the longest. they were the first fish i got. My temp is around 79 roughly. I feed my fish a tetra min community mix and i feed my corys some bottom feeder pellets. They get brine shrimp and blood worms occasionally for a treat. the food is used right away. My kit doesnt check KH or GH so ill need to get a different kit. Ill post that later.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't expect the water hardness to be a problem. My water is also well-drawn, even more alkaline (about 8.0 - 8.2 PH), and quite hard (around 17 degrees GH). This sort of thing shouldn't be any problem for goldfish, and I suspect still manageable for the tetras though someone may correct me on this.

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
I was thinking about this problem. I took my carbon out a while back and then this started. could there be something in my water that my carbon was taking out?

goshiki1

AC Members
Sep 2, 2009
yep add salt get it up to 3tsp per gal over 3 days. No iodine/no YSP anti cake agents in salt. Itll kill your fish. Id slow down on that 50% h20 chge. Go 50% a month . U may be shocking them. also, what symptoms they have bfore dying? This tells alot.

Hwom

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Oregon, IL
thats just the thing, there are no symptoms. they seem fine then in the morning they are dead. Thats what really confuses me.

What kind of accesories do you have in the tank? Pumps, powerheads,heaters, etc...
Anything that could be leaking voltage? Test water with a volt meter. Bad powerheads and heaters have been known to slowly cook or flat out electrocute fish. Are you noticing any curved spines in the deceased? Just a thought.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Wow, what a strange condition. So parameters are in check, you're conditioning the water, it's not from the city (no city chemicals)... Ah-HA! - Hwom, are you in an agricultural area or do you use pesticide/fertilizers on the plants on your property? Remember that you're drawing from the groundwater so anything that gets into the groundwater will affect your fish. If you're in an agricultural area it's very possible that your well contains traces of fertilizers and pesticides from surrounding farms and that may be our mystery killer. Please let us know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store