Help me convert planted to cichlid 220g!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Test your water, if the chemistry is right for the african tank then you can use any substrate you'd like, if it still needs buffering then get the crushed coral, it looks great if you like white or tan substrate and you get occasional small shells.

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
I like severums, but I want the standard cichlid shape I guess. Ill be gone researching for a while, lots to think about.

Lake Tanganyikan cichlids for me. What about CA/SA cichlids? Uarus and severums are always cute.:hearts:

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
I have both Africans and New Worlds in different tanks and while I'd love two 220 gallon tanks for both, if I had just one I'd pick New Worlds. I guess because they're bigger and would be more entertaining in a tank that size. Either way it sounds fun. Save the plants for a smaller tank.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Perfect, exactly what Im wanting. What type of substrate should I use with it though? Im not doing sand.
Why not sand? Its cheaper than gravel and best for africans. But like ibr3ak said you might need a boost in the water hardness/pH so crushed coral might be needed.

Lake Tanganyikan cichlids for me. What about CA/SA cichlids? Uarus and severums are always cute.:hearts:
Same here Lupie:grinyes::grinyes:

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
ph 7.8+(as high as test kit goes)
gh 16 degrees(drops it takes to turn from red to green)
with these params what do u suggest.

Test your water, if the chemistry is right for the african tank then you can use any substrate you'd like, if it still needs buffering then get the crushed coral, it looks great if you like white or tan substrate and you get occasional small shells.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sounds pretty good to me. Anything around 8 is usually ok unless you are dealing with wild caught species who would probably need a higher pH and probably Gh. But in your case, perfect for africans...any reason why you do not want sand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store