Help me convert planted to cichlid 220g!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Ok water params.
ph 8.0ish
gh8
kh8
fully cycled
what species?????:perv:

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I downsized my 220g planted. I need something a little less maintenance right now. I know I want some type of cichlid, but I still want it to look pretty good. I would also like some type of rockwork, but Im also trying to keep the cost down. Already have filters, more than sufficient lighting, and all the other standard equipment. I also have extremely hard well water if that makes a difference. Oh well, I would like some pics, ideas, and info on the harder water species. TIA

peace,
mark
I have the same tank. i am making mine a SA Cichlid set up.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Im liking pretty much all of the Julidochromis, they apparently stay small which is what Im looking for.

Thanx for the link, now where to get them?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Here are the max sizes for juli's. The larger ones are also considered to be the most temperamental.

dickfeldi-4"
marlieri-5"
ornatus-3"
regani-5"
transcriptus-3"

Julidochromis are sold a lot on aquabid.com. I do remember an AC member with a tank (I think 75 gallons) and only juli's. However they are not naturally "shoaling" fish and even fry are considered threats to the parents. If you really want to go tangs I would also suggest a school of cyprichromis leptosoma if your budget allows it. They are pretty expensive but a large group (20+) would look AMAZING in that tank size. You could also try sandsifters (Xenotilapia)

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
no convestion necaserry. just insert chiclids and your plants will disapear!

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Alright, just got 6 brichardi daffodils, and 12 julidochromis a mix of marlieri, ornatus, and reganni. pics later. Letting them acclimate right now....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store