Help me pick LED mods for my RSM 250

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alabella1

AC Members
Mar 16, 2021
Hey all! Just joined the page I recently inherited a RSM 250 from my office as they decided they no longer wanted to pay for the upkeep. So last weekend we moved it into my house and so far it's doing great. Got everything I need for the care, kept all the original water and life in tact post move. Added some new fish. But now onto my issue. Only 2 T5s were on so I bought 6 replacement bulbs so I could get going on a replacement schedule. Come to find out, only 2 fixtures actually work. So it could be ballasts, could be something else. I don't know. All that said, I've heard from some fellow enthusiasts to look into LEDs. So I've been doing that and boy there's a lot out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful of options, but I don't really know what to do. Here is what I found in other forums and through researching.
Ideally I want something I can just drop into the current hood with little or no modifications save removing the current T5s and dropping something new in there.
Steve's LEDs - RED SEA MAX 250/C250 LED UPGRADE - PLUG AND PLAY - $799 but you know I'm gonna throw the add ons to make it $875
Reefbreeders - Photon 32-V2+ - $589 - look decent but not sure about the controls on them.
Aqua Illumination AI Hydra 32HD LED -$366 x 2
Noopsyche K7 PRO II LED Light - $155 x 2 and controller for $57
Current Orbit Marine IC PRO LED Reef Aquarium Dual Light System with Wireless Loop - $225
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 300w - $290
and finally... the cheapo option but might just be worth a try...
DSunY T75 Reef Led Aquarium Light - $185
Any help, recommendations, reviews would be so helpful as I'm driving myself insane trying to make the right/easiest decision here.

63720250580__DF313C6B-08FB-4623-9E70-8588FF82FD0E.jpg

63725268311__E3CE4941-683A-43BF-9A2A-0F5FA90CE6AD.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool setup!

I'm not well versed on marine setups, but have been through various T8, T5 and LED fixtures for my planted freshwater setups over the years.

There's nothing wrong with T5. Good replacement lamps are a bit expensive and becoming more difficult to come by. That 6-tube fixture would pump out a lot of heat and consume ~324 watts which is a bit.

I wonder if you could swap ballasts easily and cheaply given you've already bought the lamps?

If going to LED, there's tons of 48" LED strip lights in all price ranges. I was at walmart the other day and they even sell 48" LED "grow" lights. Kind of shop light shaped, but could be fit into aquarium hoods.

Last edited:
Reactions: alabella1

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Welcome to AC, alabella1. Pretty cool setup!

I'm a little confused as to which pic is the current state of the tank, the top or the bottom, or if they're just taken at different times, or if the top was original and you added some corals and live rock and that's the second pic. Regardless...

I'm no coral expert, but I have played around with some easy corals. Based on the lower picture in your post, it looks like you have xenia, mushroom corals, some zooanthids, maybe one ricordea, and one other that I can't identify. All in all, a pretty hardy bunch of species, the exact types of corals I have researched for my own hybrid FOWLR/easy coral tank that I'm waffling about setting up. It does look like all your zoas have the stalk extended, which does indicate some light deficiencies, but you already knew that.

Honestly, with that bunch of corals and zoas I'd go the cheapest option that meets the needs of your corals. Not necessarily because it's cheap, but because nothing you have in there is especially sensitive or demanding, so why spend $100s on something that is overkill? If you're off a little bit on your calculations of how much light you need, those species are going to be forgiving and won't be affected much, if at all. They may not be thriving right now, but the simple fact they are still alive and not shriveling up and dying yet with the poor lighting they have now is a testament to their hardiness. It's not like you have a lot of "expert" SPS corals you're trying to maintain.

There are all kinds of discussions out there about fluorescents versus LEDs. The discussions mainly revolve around intensity and color, and there are a lot of opinions about what is best. When I've researched it, there are a surprising number of hobbyists who still believe fluorescents are the best lights for reef tanks, even though LEDs are the popular choice for many hobbyists due to lower heat output and relatively lower costs to run. Honestly, I don't know if those hobbyists who prefer fluorescents are more comfortable with fluorescents because that is what they know (like myself) or if their arguments are legit. Their tanks look just as nice as anybody using LEDs. Like I said, I have a 90 gallon tank that will be my hybrid FOWLR tank if I make it a saltwater tank, and I'm going to go with flourescents. The arguments for the fluorescents won with me. Actually, after seeing your pics, I'm probably going to go with a SW tank after all. That itch still needs scratched.

Good luck. Would like to see the result when you get your new lights!

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Most people I know preferring TO over LED is because they like the color output from the tubes, and often dislike the disco effect you can get from LED lighting. A lot of them are professionals especially freshwater aquascapers and are more likely to buy the really expensive T5 bulbs.

I would honestly replace the entire fixture rather than trying to retrofit anything.. but I would look around, I expect plenty of others have done the same thing.

alabella1

AC Members
Mar 16, 2021
So I did get great ATI bulbs. The 6 ran me roughly $150. Only 2 worked so I suspect the ballasts, but I'm really not sure. The ballasts will cost me another $150 and then we're going to be looking at $150 a year to replace the T5s usually. I can still return the T5s to BRS. It just seems to me spending a little more for the LEDs now can potentially save me money down the line. I spoke with Jeff @ Steve's LEDs and I like that they are all made in the USA and use German LEDs over junk from china. He said the parts they use are rated to last 15 years which is impressive and everyone I've read who got setups from Steve's love them. It's a mixed bag for all the rest, some good some bad, so I dunno.

The top pic is the current state of the bulbs. Only 2 will light. Pictures 2 and 3 are within a few days of each other. I moved some rocks around trying to keep the damn anemones off my corals. I also added some new fish between those pics as well.

I think my roster is the red mushrooms, a tyree toadstool which I believe has 2 babies elsewhere, a hurricane chalice, a pink tipped hammer and a bunch of candy canes. I am hoping to get some new corals once I have the lighting sorted out. My coworker is going to be bringing me a pavona for sure and maybe some other frags.

alabella1

AC Members
Mar 16, 2021
Welcome to AC, alabella1. Pretty cool setup!

I'm a little confused as to which pic is the current state of the tank, the top or the bottom, or if they're just taken at different times, or if the top was original and you added some corals and live rock and that's the second pic. Regardless...

I'm no coral expert, but I have played around with some easy corals. Based on the lower picture in your post, it looks like you have xenia, mushroom corals, some zooanthids, maybe one ricordea, and one other that I can't identify. All in all, a pretty hardy bunch of species, the exact types of corals I have researched for my own hybrid FOWLR/easy coral tank that I'm waffling about setting up. It does look like all your zoas have the stalk extended, which does indicate some light deficiencies, but you already knew that.

Honestly, with that bunch of corals and zoas I'd go the cheapest option that meets the needs of your corals. Not necessarily because it's cheap, but because nothing you have in there is especially sensitive or demanding, so why spend $100s on something that is overkill? If you're off a little bit on your calculations of how much light you need, those species are going to be forgiving and won't be affected much, if at all. They may not be thriving right now, but the simple fact they are still alive and not shriveling up and dying yet with the poor lighting they have now is a testament to their hardiness. It's not like you have a lot of "expert" SPS corals you're trying to maintain.

There are all kinds of discussions out there about fluorescents versus LEDs. The discussions mainly revolve around intensity and color, and there are a lot of opinions about what is best. When I've researched it, there are a surprising number of hobbyists who still believe fluorescents are the best lights for reef tanks, even though LEDs are the popular choice for many hobbyists due to lower heat output and relatively lower costs to run. Honestly, I don't know if those hobbyists who prefer fluorescents are more comfortable with fluorescents because that is what they know (like myself) or if their arguments are legit. Their tanks look just as nice as anybody using LEDs. Like I said, I have a 90 gallon tank that will be my hybrid FOWLR tank if I make it a saltwater tank, and I'm going to go with flourescents. The arguments for the fluorescents won with me. Actually, after seeing your pics, I'm probably going to go with a SW tank after all. That itch still needs scratched.

Good luck. Would like to see the result when you get your new lights!

WYite
Scratch that itch!!

• Haha
Reactions: dougall

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I spoke with Jeff @ Steve's LEDs and I like that they are all made in the USA and use German LEDs over junk from china. He said the parts they use are rated to last 15 years which is impressive and everyone I've read who got setups from Steve's love them. It's a mixed bag for all the rest, some good some bad, so I dunno.
I'm sure Steve's stuff is all high quality, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the electronics they use are from China anyway. Hopefully the good Chinese stuff. LOL.

I've never really heard anyone complain about Finnex, Current Satellite and the other name brand LED fixtures.

alabella1

AC Members
Mar 16, 2021
I'm sure Steve's stuff is all high quality, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the electronics they use are from China anyway. Hopefully the good Chinese stuff. LOL.

I've never really heard anyone complain about Finnex, Current Satellite and the other name brand LED fixtures.
But do any of those companies make something I can easily drop into my current hood?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think those companies make any lighting that *I* would sue over a reef tank.

Unfortunately I don't know specifically what will fit in the Red Sea Max.. of the ones you mentioned, I quite like the AI Hydras, I'd look at Radeons too.

I looked at the Steve's LEDs site, and it seems to sound a little gimmicky to me, I would want to know the actual spectral output of the lights, not having a knob to change the color temperature. It sounds like they are made from WRGB chips, so I would want to be able to adjust all of the channels independantly, via a timer, so I could mimic different times of the day, and ramp up etc..

Freshwater planted is more my forte, so I'm more used to open topped rimless tanks, which you clearly don't have... but I know enough about lighting itself.

If possible I would worry about what fixtures will actually fit in the given space... I would also want to look at pictures of reef tanks similar to yours so I could see how the actual produced coor from the light was pleasing to my own eye.

alabella1

AC Members
Mar 16, 2021
I don't think those companies make any lighting that *I* would sue over a reef tank.

Unfortunately I don't know specifically what will fit in the Red Sea Max.. of the ones you mentioned, I quite like the AI Hydras, I'd look at Radeons too.

I looked at the Steve's LEDs site, and it seems to sound a little gimmicky to me, I would want to know the actual spectral output of the lights, not having a knob to change the color temperature. It sounds like they are made from WRGB chips, so I would want to be able to adjust all of the channels independantly, via a timer, so I could mimic different times of the day, and ramp up etc..

Freshwater planted is more my forte, so I'm more used to open topped rimless tanks, which you clearly don't have... but I know enough about lighting itself.

If possible I would worry about what fixtures will actually fit in the given space... I would also want to look at pictures of reef tanks similar to yours so I could see how the actual produced coor from the light was pleasing to my own eye.
This is the exact one Steve's sells for my tank

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store