Help my fish are dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
i think my cory died from the quick cure

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
some of the medication can be really hard on fish, thats why the salt is usually a better first option. If it is a common pleco, you may consider returning it before it gets much bigger. Unfortunately, no one wants them when they get big (up to 2 ft). In general I would not trust an LFS to advise on fish issues, most don't know much more than the average customer. Of course there are exceptions, but its always best to do your own research :)

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
Well not to worry....I came home from work today and my pleco was dead along with my betta who had really bad fin rot. The 2 gold gouramis in my quarantine seem to have lost their ick spots but the nitrites are high and ph is also high. How do I put in the salt and how much for ich (its about a 2g tank). In my main tank (til I get a much bigger one) I have 2 dwarf blue gouramis and a red fire gourami. This tank the nitrate level is off the charts and the ph is very acidic. What can I do...I need to treat this tank also because it is the tank the gold gouramis got ich from. How long and how much salt to put in this tank (its about 10g). how do I get my levels stabilized?

starter_flo

starter and finisher
Jul 21, 2005
Mission. BC. Canada
i think you should buy these products

cycle which will reduce fish loss use stuff to take out chlorine and use stuff like that to treat your water if your fish still dyin do all what i said. but leave you tank empty do test with your water on your own or let the pet store do it

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
jacqueline2215 said:
Well not to worry....I came home from work today and my pleco was dead along with my betta who had really bad fin rot. The 2 gold gouramis in my quarantine seem to have lost their ick spots but the nitrites are high and ph is also high. How do I put in the salt and how much for ich (its about a 2g tank). In my main tank (til I get a much bigger one) I have 2 dwarf blue gouramis and a red fire gourami. This tank the nitrate level is off the charts and the ph is very acidic. What can I do...I need to treat this tank also because it is the tank the gold gouramis got ich from. How long and how much salt to put in this tank (its about 10g). how do I get my levels stabilized?
Do some water changes. It sounds to me like your fish are becoming ill due the the stress of an uncycled tank. I'm assuming that you aren't done cycling your 10 gal or your quarantine tank. You mentioned earlier that you stabilized an empty tank, but that doesn't mean that it is cycled. You either cycle with fish or do a fishless cycle by adding ammonia to the tank. Adding "Cycle" to the tank will not likely help. Bio-Spira is really the only product that actually helps shorten the cycle time.

jacqueline2215

Bo and Sushi's Mommy
Jul 24, 2005
New Jersey
I have gone through so many fish that I thought my tank was cycled. I changed 1/3 of main tank and 1/2 of hospital tank. I just added salt and upped the circulation in my main tank thinking there might not be enough oxygen as my fish are gasping at the surface....does anyone reccomend a complete water change on my main tank? My main tank levels are off the charts for nitrite (so purple not on card) and between 7.2 and 7.4 for ph. My hopsital tank is very acidic (6.2) and has high nitrites also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store