Help, problem with new sand!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
It's actually been discontinued by 3m but another company (estes i think) picked it up. It's used in pool applications, so it can be sourced by pool supply or industrial supply stores. It's ceramic coated quartz, and comes in several color options. I purchased 2 50lb bags about a month ago locally for $25 dollars each after tax.

There's pics on this link http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240007
This is S grade which is a bit smaller than the other size which is T grade.
That looks beautiful, I love it!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
if the tank is just cloudy from suspended sand silt then i'd leave the fish in there and do large water changes, being careful to add the new water back slowly and pour it over something, like a large piece of decor or a dinner plate. no sense in stressing the fish by moving them all over again twice, and who knows...... the extra water changes might induce them to breed ;)

another thing that helps is to toss an additional hob filter on the tank, with paper towel wrapped around the intake and fill the filter full of polyester batting. this will help clear the water up faster.
I didn't think you could put fish into that, it's not too bad today. I changed some water out when I got home. I'm going to throw in some polyester batting, I have a small box filter I think I'll put in. Maybe that would be better then the sponge filter. Thanks BFM!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
It's been about 15 minutes with the hob on and the intake covered with paper towel and it's looking clearer already! Put the cory's bag in there and slowly adding tablespoons full of water every 10 minutes or so, hope this works. I want them to be happy and healthy!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Correct.^
I use PFS, myself and never rinsed it before using it. I added it to my tanks straight out of the bag and filled the tank with water with no cloudiness.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Oh, Slappy don't tell me that,lol, when I set up my 75 I washed like 10lbs at a time untill it rinsed clear! Well I'll know for next time.
My cory's are doing great, I love them and they love the sand. There are little Cory tracks all over, very cute. They're eating and so far doing well. I only had one that didn't make it, he was one of the smaller ones. As soon as the water clears up a bit more I'll take some pix. Thanks for all the feedback:)

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
not the best pic's but my camera isn't too terrific.

IMG_2829.JPG IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2823.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
awwww, those are some cute cories!!

and all that gunk on the paper towel is what could have been in your impeller, messing with your filter. it sure did clear up quick!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store