Help, problem with new sand!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
I think there is quite a bit of variation in cleanliness of pfs from brand to brand. I used the quickcrete brand and it took quite a bit of rinsing. Probably less than play sand but still a lot of rinsing.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
awwww, those are some cute cories!!

and all that gunk on the paper towel is what could have been in your impeller, messing with your filter. it sure did clear up quick!
I know, thank you for telling me about that, much appreciated! I changed it last night even though the water is pretty clear now. Just till Saturday when I do w/c's.
Thanks jetajockey for such nice Cory's:)
I'm adding Dario Dario's to the tank, going to put my order in today. They're so small and pretty with the black Cory's the tank should look nice. After the holidays I want a 40 breeder, so as the cory's grow I'll transfer them there with what I'm not sure yet. Uhoh, that will make 3 tanks, the bf will have a fit,LOL!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Yeah koipoloi I agree with you. My pfs had tons of dirt, dust coming off it. It seemed to take forever to clear up.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Truth to tell, I'm not to happy with the sand I bought, it's very fine and hard to clean. I used the python this morning and all you can do is just swirl the opening over the sand, you can't get into the sand. I don't like how it cleans up, not good enough for me. Maybe that's why I'm having water problems now.

jemaasjr

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
In my experience you will pick up a small amount of cloudiness with any sand. I suspect that as you work with it the sand grains rubbing against each other abrade fine particulate into the water. Washing is a good idea and necessary with any low grade sand, but expect a little cloudiness regardless.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Truth to tell, I'm not to happy with the sand I bought, it's very fine and hard to clean. I used the python this morning and all you can do is just swirl the opening over the sand, you can't get into the sand. I don't like how it cleans up, not good enough for me. Maybe that's why I'm having water problems now.
with sand substrate, the poop and mulm will sit on top and won't go into the sand at all.

you don't need to get in to the sand, just do the swirl like you've been doing.

in my tanks with sand i've actually stopped using a gravel vac and i just use a long piece of tubing (like the one that comes with a gravel vac). i put my arm right into the tank, holding the tube at the end, and have one finger extended past the tube opening and give the sand a little swirl with my finger to raise the poop and mulm up into the water, where the tube sucks it out.

only downside to the above method is that you have to suck on the tube to get the siphon started. i've become a master at not getting tank water in my mouth now! :rofl:

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I do the same thing. Swirl the water around, and what gets sucked up, gets sucked up. What doesn't becomes food for my plants lol

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
BFM that's what I was thinking of doing. Just use a bigger piece of tubing like I did years ago before the python! On a small tank I think it will be easier and get more of the mulm etc. that sits on top of the sand.
Thanks everyone:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store