Help! Red "scales" on chocolate oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Definitely looks like an ulcer. Generally, these things are caused by pseudo/aeromonas, and if you're seeing these, you may want to treat for flukes too, since the bacteria generally attack through the small wounds that the fluke parasites leave. I'd treat the wound with peroxide and neosporin (the cream not the oil), and since the infection is internal, you'll need to treat with either medicated food or injected antibiotics. Which ones however, I am not quite sure about...

Here's a great site for goldfish diseases and treatments:
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/disease.htm

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Definitely looks like an ulcer. Generally, these things are caused by pseudo/aeromonas, and if you're seeing these, you may want to treat for flukes too, since the bacteria generally attack through the small wounds that the fluke parasites leave. I'd treat the wound with peroxide and neosporin (the cream not the oil), and since the infection is internal, you'll need to treat with either medicated food or injected antibiotics. Which ones however, I am not quite sure about...

Here's a great site for goldfish diseases and treatments:
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/disease.htm
Okay. Is this something which can begin to affect the other two goldfish who were in the tank with him? He is now in a hospital tank. Do I treat both tanks?

The red blotch really doesn't look like an ulcer/not raised or anything. More like a brushburn. I'll check in to the web site you listed, thanks.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Ulcers are not raised, they basically open up a hole in the body wall, this looks like the beginning of one just before it becomes a big gaping hole.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Ulcers are not raised, they basically open up a hole in the body wall, this looks like the beginning of one just before it becomes a big gaping hole.
Yikes. Okay, so I looked at the web site suggested and read about red sores (I didn't see the word ulcer, guessing it is used interchangeably). So, do I treat for a parasite? If so, looks like I should get Erythromycin and medicated food. Perhaps also dabbing the spot with neosporin cream.

??

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
I stopped at both Superpetz and Petco this evening on the way home. Picked up Melafix (read the above web link/others). Neither store carried medicated food.
Got home. Checked the water; ammonia 0. Changed out 50% of water. Dosed with salt and Melafix. The original mark hasn't grown but I do see a little red on his other side, same area. Very light.
Perhaps he is a red goldfish painted brown?????? :) If only. I will stop at Petsmart tomorrow to see if they carry medicated food. If not, I'll travel to a town nearby with a huge fish store.
So, hearing all this...do I dose the 38 g. with the Melafix to ensure that those goldfish do not get anything.
I'm really researching; learning. etc.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Whoah there! Inka, although you're correct in that it's an ulcer, it's not a good idea to just throw medications at the problem.

The Melafix is a good idea since it's basically tea tree oil, an excellent natural antiseptic and antifungal. The medicated food is also a good idea, as is some kind of topical antibacterial such as neosporin or bio bandage.

There's no need for erythromycin or any antiparasite med. Ulcers are usually caused by poor water conditions, and since gmcb mentioned that there was no filter in the tank, I would wager that's the real issue. Built up ammonia and nitrites can trigger infections in any tank.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Oops, I think there is some confusion in the last post. I do have a filter in the tank; the tank he was moved to did not have a filter running (it does now that he is in it). I checked both tanks last night; ammonia was 0. The red is showing up on his other side now. So,see what he is like when I arrive home. Still have located any medicated food.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Update--The chocolate oranda is still hanging in there. The red spot hasn't really gotten worse or better. He does have a similar red spot on his other side. I did start treating the water with an antibiotic, did water changes. I'm on the 4th day of treatment with the antiobiotic. Also, found medicated food. He doesn't eat it. He is not eating anything. (Today, I decided that it is better he eat than try to only feed the medicated food, so I put a little variety in his tank.) He just hangs out at the top of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store