Help! Red "scales" on chocolate oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the support. The test tube is bright yellow. I use a Tetratest.
Came home this evening; not better. He tried to eat but then he sinks to the bottom of the tank.
I just removed 25 of the water; I thought a fresh start would stimulate him. Also he doesn't have to work so hard to get to the surface. I have a very old goldfish book; they recommend a shallow hospital tank for goldfish.
We'll see. I'm not very hopeful. This is a tough hobby. :(

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
You're right in thinking that frequent water changes will help him. You can also try warming the tank with a heater - the heat helps goldfish fight off many types of bacteria. Just be sure your tank is well aerated if you decide to heat it. Warm water holds less oxygen, so an airstone would be a good idea. Best of luck.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
I think he's not going to make it. I came home tonight and he has in 12 hours worsened. His gills are red. I think I should help him along his way. Need to read up on euthanasia for fish.
I hate to give up, but I don't want the little guy struggling along. He did eat a bit, but there are black little turds in the tank. He's barely responsive.
Again, thanks for everyone's support.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Last night I thought the little guy was a goner. But, we added more water to the tank and the next thing he was swimming around looking for food. We went out to run a few errands, came home to find he had eaten. This morning, he is swimming around and hungry. I crushed the medicated pellets and he's busy eating. He looks bad, has a white coating on his head, it looks sort of swollen, the red has moved along his body. At this point, I'm afraid to add anything (salt, melafix, etc.) to the water. I'm going to give him a water change later today and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store