HELP!!! Strange Betta Wound

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
UPDATE!
This betta is still alive and kicking! (or swimming in this case)

This is the wound as of 10/3/09
bROKEN bETTA 016.JPG

The wound as of 10/6/09
Broken Betta 2 006.JPG

The wound as of 10/8/09
Bettas Recovery 016.JPG

And finally the wound as of 10/12/09
Bettas Recovery 063.JPG

The external progress is minimal but he is no longer leaking food. I started feeding him blood worms around 8/6/09 and he was still losing quite a bit of food out of his side. I watched him eat the same blood worm three times. In one side and out the other. :yuck:

Since then I have started feeding him one Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellet a day. He hasn't lost any food out of his side in a few days and he seems to be in good spirits.

I wonder how long he'll last if he doesn't heal up? He doesn't show any signs of slowing down or acting sickly.

He must be one of those new run-flat bettas from Goodyear.

bROKEN bETTA 016.JPG Broken Betta 2 006.JPG Bettas Recovery 016.JPG Bettas Recovery 063.JPG

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Wow--that's amazing. Fish can heal from some bizarre stuff. As for the question of how long he'll last if he doesn't heal up, I think he's on his way to being healed already. If he's not leaking food, then his insides must be doing better. And assuming this was just a wound (and not something systemic or bacterial), then I think he's well on his way to being all better.

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Hope he gets better!

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Good to hear that he is getting better. I would guess that it is or rather was a bacteria or parasite. I have looked around a little and other people have experienced holes developing through (clean through) the fish. For example take a look at this picture of a hole straight through the side of the fish

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
Whew, grizzly... Has anyone said that they managed to save the fish?

A quick update. It seems the hole is starting to grow scales over top again. I'll keep him on his diet for a while and see if I can get him 100% again. And... as promised to MTFISHGAL I'll keep him in the 55 Gallon tank as long as he's around. :)

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
A quick update. It seems the hole is starting to grow scales over top again. I'll keep him on his diet for a while and see if I can get him 100% again. And... as promised to MTFISHGAL I'll keep him in the 55 Gallon tank as long as he's around. :)
:clap::clap::clap: BagelDog, I'm very happy to hear he's doing so much better! I can only imagine how MUCH he loves that 55 gallon. :woot::headbang2::headbang2::headbang2:
P.S. Still waiting for my prize in the mail.... or did I not have the best answer?? LOL :screwy:

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
I'm old time member, but I've been inactive for many months now, & just coming back into it.

I had a male who had a hole/wound similar to yours. With good care, it healed up quickly enough. The feeding was just restricted.
He was rounding 2 years at the time, lived another year after the occurance.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Whew, grizzly... Has anyone said that they managed to save the fish?

As far as I know that fish is still alive and kicking.

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
Montanafishgal- I'll still get you your prize. I need to message you to figure out what you might want. I'm sure I've got something that'd be put to good use in one of your tanks. How about a slightly used betta? Runs great, minor blemishes, as-is. Ha ha ha.

Thanks again for all of the responses. I knew there had to be at least one recorded instance of a popped fish that got better!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store