Help with ciclids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
so far i change 1/2 the water nitrite still 1.0. is there any chemical i can use to get it lower?

billswin

AC Members
Dec 15, 2009
so far i change 1/2 the water nitrite still 1.0. is there any chemical i can use to get it lower?

I am in the cycle process right now 3 weeks and my nitrites are high, try using prime during the water change - dose for the entire tank not just the water you add. It will not hurt the cycling process, but neutralize the ammonia and nitrites and help your fish it lasts for 24-48 hours so you might need multiple water changes with prime..

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
These guys are right. Fish need to be added slowly in order to let the bacteria adjust to the ammonia load of the tank. Old lace rock and soaked filters probably aren't enough to jumpstart the tank alone. Keep up on your water changes and try not to disturb (throw away) the filter media (beneficial bacteria).

Good Luck!

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
Ok i added an air stone it seem t be helping out because the fish are more active and hang around the rocks but still hang on top. Since the bacteria needs ammonia to colonies can i add the amonnia and hope my fish wont die right off the bat.

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
the ammonia is zero ph is 7.4 nitrite is 1.0 and nitrate is zero. can i add the fish to my establis 38 gallon tank and let them trive till the tank establish.

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
i took my ceramic tabs that help bacteria colonize and put it in my 55 gallon tank filter hopes that will help them out.

richbrad08

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
ya i want to be patience but i lost some pretty fish and a lobster. So far i lost 3 catfish > lobster loves catfish. I lost my Bright orange ciclid lost my male kenya lost another yellow with black stripes ciclid.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
You do not need to add ammonia. The fish waste produces that. You should be doing at least daily water changes and more to keep your nitrites as close to 0 as possible. I would get some Prime water conditioner to use in the tank. It will neutralize the nitrites so they won't harm your fish until the tank can finish cycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store