HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
I wouldn't put the cream in the water... doesn't sound like a good idea to me. they need different antibiotics. You better get to cleaning that quarantine tank lol, because I don't think he's going to like being in a bowl.
I read/saw pics of what a pleco can do to goldfish and immediately got mine out of the tank. If it's a bigger pleco, I would say that it's a possibility that that is what did that to your goldie. Even if it's a small pleco it's a possibility... they like slime coating.
The Melafix is going to be your best bet I'd say... cuz it looks like a something sucked on him right there. Think of it like a hickey sort of. Brought all the blood to the surface but didn't break the skin.

And your pleco may be afraid of them... when they're awake.

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
II can't clean the tank because it's after midnight and my dad'll kill me for making noise and stuff just to clean a tank. I may be 19 but I live at home.

The best I can do for a quarantine right now is a plastic breeder trap. None of my other goldies are showing problems but I'm going to keep an eye on things until I can hopefully do something better for him tomorrow.

I think what might've happened is one of the little young mollies I have in there got nippy with him and the bite got infected or he scraped against something. There's only a couple in there (nowhere else to put them). They usually leave the goldies alone (trust me, I know; I'm in my room all day and I can see the tank quite well from anywhere in my room).

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
It is getting late isn't it.
I lose track of time too easily...
I think he'll be fine until tomorrow when you can clean the tank, I was just saying that you should definitely move him into one.
And the mollies getting nippy sounds like a legitimate possibility as well.
He looks like a healthy fish, and I'm sure he'll heal up great.
As long as he's still acting like himself I wouldn't start too worry too much

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
And yes, there's a pleco but he doesn't bother anyone.
This doesn't appear to be a very accurate statement anymore, I'm afraid.

Your photos show what looks to be an obvious suction wound right on the lower side. This happens all too often exactly this way, and still the fishkeeper finds it difficult to believe this might be possibly with his/her pleco. (Great question for you to ask btw, My_Goldie. That was good thinking.)

Looking at other possibilities, if this were a cyst, tumor, infection site, or parasites underneath that has now broken through the skin to this degree it would certainly have caused enough discomfort for the fish, by now, for it to show behavioral changes.. flashing, lethargy... something. As you've already said the fish are in your room where you observe them closely and regularly.. you would have noticed something odd about the fish before the affected area got so bad. Again, more reason to conclude the wound came from something sudden and external to the fish.

You've separated the goldie.. that's good. And it's fine overnight until you can set up the QT for treatment. You're doing and already planning what else to do for the fish. This being an open wound, the greatest hazard now is bacterial infection or this as entry point for parasites to enter this area of the fish.

Keep the water clean and well oxygenated. If you can, add some aquarium salt to soothe the fish while it's recovering. If you see any sign of parasites here, raise the temperature a little during treatment to speed up that process. Let us know what you can about how the fish behaves now... and if you notice anything wrong with your other goldfish. And, please think about making other accommodations for your pleco.

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
Kashta, I'm sorry but I do not agree with you. I should've stated earlier how big the goldie and the pleco were. The goldie is quite small (two inches including the tail) and the pleco is bigger than I originally said (I couldn't see him real well last night because he was in my jaguar skull). I've looked at the wound and compared it to my pleco's mouth and the wound is just *too* small to be from the pleco. And I have had this pleco for months in this exact same tank with these exact same fish and there has *never* been a problem. I have never had a problem with goldies and plecos. What works for me may not work for you. Every fish is different and there are exceptions to *every* rule.

I won't move the pleco because I have nowhere else to put him and I probably won't for many months because money is tighter in my house than most.

I do appreciate your help but the wound is looking better today so I think he'll be fine.

I hope this thread doesn't get people all over me like my last one did with my big goldie during the summer. I don't like posting on here because of the criticism.

And if it seems like I'm arrogant or stubborn or whatnot, I'm sorry but I have to speak my mind.

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I wish you all the best with your fish

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Kashta, I'm sorry but I do not agree with you. I should've stated earlier how big the goldie and the pleco were. The goldie is quite small (two inches including the tail) and the pleco is bigger than I originally said (I couldn't see him real well last night because he was in my jaguar skull). I've looked at the wound and compared it to my pleco's mouth and the wound is just *too* small to be from the pleco. And I have had this pleco for months in this exact same tank with these exact same fish and there has *never* been a problem. I have never had a problem with goldies and plecos. What works for me may not work for you. Every fish is different and there are exceptions to *every* rule.

I won't move the pleco because I have nowhere else to put him and I probably won't for many months because money is tighter in my house than most.

I do appreciate your help but the wound is looking better today so I think he'll be fine.

I hope this thread doesn't get people all over me like my last one did with my big goldie during the summer. I don't like posting on here because of the criticism.

And if it seems like I'm arrogant or stubborn or whatnot, I'm sorry but I have to speak my mind.
Severin, those are your fish and we all know you're the one to decide how you're going to take care of them. But, you posted a thread asking for help and some advice - that's what I gave you, nothing more. If you choose to take that as criticizm then you're wrong, but so be it. Take someone else's advice then that better matches the conclusions you've already formed and ignore what the rest of us have to say.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Hope your goldie gets better.

sacrificetheory

AC Members
Jan 22, 2009
Wayne County, Kentucky
Good luck with your goldie, and if this happens to another one I would definitely look into the pleco being a bully.
Melafix works wonders, so try to get ahold of some of that.
If not, watch him/her closely for parasites as previously stated.
Good luck!

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Use PimaFix & MelaFix together!

PimaFix can safely be used with MelaFix to provide the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing.

PimaFix has unique antifungal and antibacterial properties that prevent the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. MelaFix is an all-natural botanical solution that remedies bacterial infections in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store