HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
It looks like some kind of skin infection. Sometimes these guys will scratch themselves up against a rock and irratation like this can happen.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Good luck with your goldie, and if this happens to another one I would definitely look into the pleco being a bully.
Hey sacrificetheory.. We don't know if the pleco was behind this. The OP will have to just consider that as a real possibility for himself. (Or not, whatever...) Either way, I'd like to stress one point here. It's much, much better for us not to characterize incidents like that between plecos and goldfish as a sign of aggression (the pleco being a bully). That couldn't be further from the truth and it casts plecos in a bad light that is totally undeserved. Plecos, by nature, are extremely peaceful fish and don't go after or attack unsuspecting goldfish (discus, etc..) out of aggression or being mean. They just like slime, whether it's a film of algae on the glass or that thick slime coat produced by many types of fish. Most of us who are familiar with and who appreciate plecos already know this, of course.. you probably do as well. But if we're not careful with our phrasing sometimes, newcomers just entering the hobby could get the wrong impression.

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
Hey sacrificetheory.. We don't know if the pleco was behind this. The OP will have to just consider that as a real possibility for himself. (Or not, whatever...) Either way, I'd like to stress one point here. It's much, much better for us not to characterize incidents like that between plecos and goldfish as a sign of aggression (the pleco being a bully). That couldn't be further from the truth and it casts plecos in a bad light that is totally undeserved. Plecos, by nature, are extremely peaceful fish and don't go after or attack unsuspecting goldfish (discus, etc..) out of aggression or being mean. They just like slime, whether it's a film of algae on the glass or that thick slime coat produced by many types of fish. Most of us who are familiar with and who appreciate plecos already know this, of course.. you probably do as well. But if we're not careful with our phrasing sometimes, newcomers just entering the hobby could get the wrong impression.
:iagree:

It's not the pleco's fault that they like slime. And i'm sure that they don't actually mean the fish harm when they decide to eat the slime coating. It's just a side effect of the slime being missing that can be dangerous to the fish's health. That and if they suck a bit too hard.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
This looks like a classic case of ulcer disease to me. It could be the pleco, and I agree with Kashta that it would be best to move the pleco out of the tank. If not because it might be bothering the fish, but more because any meds you add to the tank can sicken or kill the pleco. They are very sensitive fish and ulcers require powerful medications. So you will need a rubbermaid tub or another tank to move the pleco to.

First you're going to need to deal with the ulcer itself. This is a very, very easy procedure. You can get clove oil online or at health food/aromatherapy type stores.

You'll need a plastic tub, an air pump, clove oil, q-tips and neosporin or bio-bandage. Don't use just any cream or antibiotic gel. The dosage for humans and fish can be very different. Neosporin is the only human antibacterial safe for use on fish.

Add the clove oil to a gallon-size ziplock bag of dechlorinated water at 5 drops per gallon of water and shake like crazy until it is fully dissolved. Add that to the tub and repeat until your tub is full. Add the air pump to keep the clove oil in solution.
Net your fish, put him in the tub and wait a minute or two until he floats onto his side. Be sure his gills are still moving. If they stop, add more fresh water to the tub to dilute the anaesthetic.
Lift him with a wet towel until his ulcer is exposed, carefully pat it dry with a PAPER towel, dab on the neosporin and then lift him back into the net. Hold that in the main tank until he wakes up. You can slowly swish him back and forth in the water to wake him up quicker.

Once you have dealt with the ulcer itself, you're going to need a powerful antibacterial medication. I recommend a Maracyn/Maracyn II regimen. You might want to put him in a 10 or 20 gallon quarantine tank while you treat him so you don't need to buy a huge amount of medication.

Best of luck with him.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
SeverinBarbossa... you really do want to listen to flaringshutter. She is an accomplished goldfish keeper, and has diagnosed and treated many goldfish ailments and illnesses successfully.

You will do well to follow her advice on this. I'm wishing the best for you and your goldie.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store