Hillstream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Well it's been a month since my last update. Tank is good. Added in the panda garras and they are loving the tank. The 'spotted' loaches are still not in stock and I am still waiting for them...I do have a chance to upgrade the tank to a 75 gallon to be in the living room but I am not sure if I want to get that big of a tank. I am trying to get my camera lenses so it's either the lenses or the tank. I would have to get the 75 gallon tank ($185 at my LFS), a stand ($180), glass top (around $50), light fixture (around $130), and more substrate. I can buy a good macro/micro lens with the tank total:). I'll have to wait until early February to get anything so I guess I will decide which one I want then.

DSC_0010_zps90ee65cc.jpg
The male who I never see as much now. He only comes out when I am sitting in front of the tank.

DSC_0016_zps2ae364d4.jpg
The larger male stiphodon. Since giving away the other male, the other smaller male and him are hiding unless I put in new Repashy food. This male is a fatty though. Always eating the food.
DSC_0023_zps09317822.jpg
One of the panda garras. One looks to be very fat so I hope no breeding happens as I am done with fry. I don't want anymore.

DSC_0010_zps90ee65cc.jpg DSC_0016_zps2ae364d4.jpg DSC_0023_zps09317822.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great pics!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks!

Sometime this week, I am going to re-scape the tank as I have to catch the last 3 sewellia lineolatas to be shipped off. Received a very nice manzanita driftwood that I plan to add to the tank which is soaking in water right now. Still trying to figure out how I am going to clean it as I do not have a big pot to boil it in. I'll need to scrap off a lot of algae, trim some of the java ferns, and change out the sand substrate for a new one. I plan to get a nice light fixture in January instead of using the work lights I have now. I may add a few assassin snails to eat the pond snails I have in the tank as there is still a lot even when I manually take some out. Looks like the sewellia lineolata spawning has stopped for now. Probably start again in spring. Haven't seen any interesting loaches at my LFS. Just the random gastromyzon ctenocephalus or similar. Still looking for my spotted loaches. I'll post a photo of the new setup probably next week.

Also setting up a 10g nano for my mom after my health gets better; got better but caught the flu again. Most likely stock it with some boraras with Eco-complete as the substrate.

Last edited:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Your tank is one of the nicest I've seen anywhere and your fish are spectacular - they and the tank do you a real credit.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Looks great! Do you see any aggression over food or territories with the garras & smaller fish? I kept them with fish slightly larger than them (histrionica loaches) & I'd say they held their own...of course yours are still growing...

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks! I try my best as hillstreams are one of my favorite fish.

I just finished re-scaping the tank and will move the fish back into the tank tomorrow. Tank is a little cloudy right now but will hopefully be clear tomorrow. I found a baby sewellia lineolata in one of the canisters so it's in the tank by itself right now. Also did a big water change that took me at least 10 trips, using 3 gallon buckets, to get water from the faucet. I wasn't able to carry the 5 gallon buckets so it took me longer to change out the water.

Looks great! Do you see any aggression over food or territories with the garras & smaller fish? I kept them with fish slightly larger than them (histrionica loaches) & I'd say they held their own...of course yours are still growing...
The garras fight among themselves but are not aggressive to the other fish. Some of the time, the sewellias, especially the male, would chase the garras. The biggest garra is the one that picks on the other three. The panda garras are my second favorites after the sewellias. They're like little puppies.

Looking great, glad the Panda Garras are adjusting well!
Yep. They are growing big as they are the ones that eat the Repashy the most. The pandas like hanging out near the food dish.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Some photos of the fish:

This panda garra is by itself most of the time. Don't know why it doesn't hang out with the other 3 but it seems it is with them only when I have the lights off.
DSC_0146_zps6d2bd1fa.jpg
DSC_0159_zpsf746c2c6.jpg
DSC_0130_zps7069ca54.jpg
DSC_0088_zpsf93ff7ee.jpg
DSC_0118_zps42efb144.jpg

I will probably go to my LFS to check out the new stock tomorrow to see if they have any new loaches. It's fun to find a different gastromyzon from the "river loach" batches the LFS gets in. Plus, my lone female RCS went missing after I re-scaped the tank so I want to buy some more female shrimps for the tank. Looked everywhere for the female RCS but it must have jumped out of the bucket and my dog ate it or something.

DSC_0146_zps6d2bd1fa.jpg DSC_0159_zpsf746c2c6.jpg DSC_0130_zps7069ca54.jpg DSC_0088_zpsf93ff7ee.jpg DSC_0118_zps42efb144.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Nice. What Stiphodon species is that?(bottom picture)
I am not sure but from Odyssey's goby thread on Loaches.com, it is a stiphodon "rainbow" small. I guess there is a big and small version of this "rainbow" stiphodon. I also have the larger "rainbow" which is in the past posts/photos and ID by the senior members on the forum there. I believe Wetspot sells theirs as stiphodon "elegans" which are not "elegans" as they look different. Don't have any females though as my LFS does not stock females. They came in mixed with the "orange fin" stiphodon which I am not sure if I want to add into my tank as I want to have enough room if I find different sewellias or gastromyzons.

Here is a photo of the tank tonight (ignore my computer screen):
DSC_0001-1_zps391063e4.jpg

I think I forgot to mention I bought a new stand for the tank which is why I also "cleaned" and re-scaped the tank. Scraped off a lot of the algae on the sides for new algae to grow. Plus added the new driftwood and sand. Didn't want to cut more off the driftwood as it may be moved into a larger tank (not mine). This new scape makes it more complicated for the male sewellia lineolata to find the females. The little fry is growing and starting to have its pectoral fins.

DSC_0001-1_zps391063e4.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store