Hillstream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very nice, that last goby looks good! Is it a "rainbow color"? I saw some similar ones, tempting but I was kinda worried about the size compared to the little percs.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Very nice, that last goby looks good! Is it a "rainbow color"? I saw some similar ones, tempting but I was kinda worried about the size compared to the little percs.
Yep, it's a rainbow. I haven't seen it change into the dark colors though. Maybe it's because I do not have females in the tank. They're about twice the size of the percs. but there doesn't look to be any problems with the smaller sized stiphodons. The first photo is a smaller 'rainbow', I believe, by looking at Odyssey's thread on loaches.com and the same size as a perc.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Awesome tank and fish. I can't wait until the collectors can get to the streams again so I can get some more stiphs and R. zhoui.

Mark

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks! From what my importers tell me, it's usually around late fall to winter, when they start collecting. I just hope they get some of the rare sewellias I've been looking for soon as my favorites are the sewellias.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
The 'spotted' and albisuera sewellias are the ones I'm looking for. Seems that Europeans get them before the Americans. I have the ones you posted a photo of, which are also one of my favorites:)

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Here's a short video of two fighting females. Sorry for the glass plate. That's where I put the Repashy food.
[video=youtube;AlkYU0WPgsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkYU0WPgsg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

For some odd reason, the females have been fighting each other these past few days. Nothing too bad. There has been 3 straight spawns from the females so maybe they're just fighting over the male or territory. One of the gobies is getting picked on by the bigger one so I may have to take him out. It keeps following the mean one and never learns its lesson not to be near him.

I think I'm going to go to my LFS to see what they have in stock as they get in new fish on Thursdays. I was invited to see all the fish that their supplier has, which comes on Thursdays in a truck and the LFS just picks the fish bags they want to sell, but have class when the truck is there. I am going to go after class around 6:30pm to see if they picked any hillstream fish. Some of the workers there know I'm looking for river fish so hopefully they found something interesting or rare as I like seeing rare fish even though I don't buy them myself:).

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Found a baby sewellia. I probably need to check my canister filters on the next WC. I think I may move the fry and the bullied goby to their own tank. I have to go pick up some more sand though. Here's a a photo of the fry. I only saw this one so not sure if there is more in the tank.
DSC_0714_zps202113f6.jpg

DSC_0714_zps202113f6.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I went to the LFS yesterday night and saw a bunch of sewellias getting attacked by the goldfish. They had the sewellias in with the goldfish and were getting their skins taken off which was really sad as most of them didn't have the strength to swim away from the goldfish. There was no one around to tell them about it so I just left. I usually go in the mornings so only know the morning shift people but decided to go check out whatever stocked they got in. They didn't have anything I wanted in stock as they didn't get in their stock that day for some odd reason. Saw some tiny L183, full grown L204, L066, and homaloptera in a display tank that were not for sale. They had a tank with stiphodons and had a few different ones mixed in. Most were the 'rainbow' kind but I also saw 2 or 3 'orange fin' and unknown ones. Didn't look to have any females and were priced at $10 each. I'll probably have the morning shift workers check to see if any sewellias pop up on the list of stock as the afternoon/close workers usually pick the cichlids off the stock truck.

I cleaned out both canisters today and found 4 sewellia fry in the Aquatop. The Eheim didn't have anything in there. There was also some tiny fry so I dumped them into a 10g to see if they survive or not as it will be my grow out tank. Also changed out 50% for wc and cleaned the front glass. Still a lot of breeding from the parents. Total of 5 fry that I can see so far.

I don't think I am going to add anything unless those 'spotted' loaches get in stock as I will most likely go out of the country 9 months of the year (May to Feb.) after graduation. That's if I can't find a job here in town that will pay well as I want to help pay the house mortgage as my parents are getting older and they need a good vacation:). Don't want to make the tank to hard to care for too.

Some photos of the fish:
DSC_0746-1.jpg
DSC_0735-2.jpg
DSC_0804.jpg
DSC_0786.jpg
DSC_0770.jpg
DSC_0761.jpg
DSC_0732-1.jpg
DSC_0757-1.jpg

DSC_0746-1.jpg DSC_0735-2.jpg DSC_0804.jpg DSC_0786.jpg DSC_0770.jpg DSC_0761.jpg DSC_0732-1.jpg DSC_0757-1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store