Hole in the head.....the never ending battle.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Banger

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
speak about it as much as you have to, to help you through it. I truly feel sorry for you...
BTW
I agree with your 55 gallon theory...
MBZ

Gulp

Nom, nom, nom.
Dec 16, 2003
Stockbridge, Georgia
Visit site
It's done..... :( :( :( I bought a very large net that he would fit in, but it was still a difficult catch. After laying around barely moving for over 4 weeks........he suddenly had energy. He thrashed quite a bit and water went everywhere. Seeing that much energy in him.....I decided to give up and let him live a little longer. Unfortunately, once he stopped thrashing, every hole in his body started bleeding... It was too much to watch. I made the decision to keep trying to net him so he would no longer be in pain.

Once I had him, I placed him in a bucket of water (water I just siphoned from the aquarium so the temp would be comfortable) with the clove oil, he calmed down and is no longer thrashing. Unfortunately, it took way too long for him to die... He was just floating on his side at the top of the water.....still breathing for several minutes (at least he was calm). We added more oil hoping this would speed things up.....and eventually he finally gave in. This really sucked......and I hated causing him any pain..... I'm gonna miss Gulp....... :( :( :( :(

Last edited:

montanaxvi

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Columbus, OH
very very sad to hear of the passing of Gulp. :sad :sad I just joined this forum a few months ago and your avatar of him was amazing for me to see. Being new to the oscar care scene I am hoping I do not have to deal with the unfortunate turn of events that you were dealt and hope that all the great advice contained here will help us all in some war or another in dealing with issues such as this.

Again sorry to hear of your loss. :sad

http://www.boomspeed.com/montanaxvi/Oscar_dinner.JPG

there is my 'lil guy who I was hoping to perk up by getting some feeders when he began feeling ill about a week after I got him. He seems to be all better now, and do not worry the feeders do not get near my tank it was a one time deal to try to perk him up. Myabe that pic will bring a small smirk to your face and help ease some of the pain. He is a little monster :D

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Sorry about your fish. I would not waste any time getting another fish. Looking at a empty well almost empty tank is not a good thing. I do feel for you I know you did your best. Maybe a wild oscar from jeff rapps?

Last edited:

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
750t said:
Sorry about your fish. I would not waste any time getting an other fish.
perhaps you mean not waste any time in getting another fish? I want to see this guy's next new oscar, I am sure it will be a real beauty like Gulp was.
Sorry for your loss of the big boy, but have fun in choosing a new tankmate for the lace cat!
:soda:

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Gulp, I'm sorry to hear about your Oscar. He was a great pet, and it must have been hard to lose him that way.

You may want to consider getting Uarus. They reach 10-12", are gentle, and act more "natural" than Oscars. You could get a 5 or so small Uarus and let them form a pairs, and keep a male/female combination. Contrary to what you may have read, they are easy to sex. They can also be kept in a community tank with Cardinal tetras, corys, geos, etc. Of course when the Uarus get larger, the cardinals may end up as snacks depending on your Uarus temperment.

Good luck!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
He was a beautiful fish. My condolences. Any thoughts as to future tank occupants?

Gulp

Nom, nom, nom.
Dec 16, 2003
Stockbridge, Georgia
Visit site
Thanks all.... I'm going to have to pick something soon, looking at an empty aqarium is depressing. :(

I'm actually thinking about trying live plants this time, with smaller fish. I tried live plants when Gulp was young, but he liked to dig them up and shred them for some reason. :p I'm taking all of next week off from work so I'm going to shop for some rocks, maybe build a rock wall against the back for fish to hide in, get the plants up and growing, then pick something to keep the cat company. I'm going to walk through a couple of LFS's around here and just see what catches my eye. I might stick to fish under 6".....but then again, I've always loved the big boys. I'm going to read through a lot of threads here this weekend.....I've pretty much focused on oscar threads since I joined so it's time to broaden my horizons. It'd be nice to try and breed something. We'll see.

I'm sure you will see lots of new threads from me asking all kinds of questions soon.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A breeding pair of medium size cichlids would be cool. Salvinis, firemouths, dempseys, geophagus, carpintus, etc.
Or even a group of Jewel cichlids in a moderately planted tank with rocks and driftwood.

J03M4M4

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
A moment of silence...

"......"

When either one of my oscars goes, or both, Red Devils are going to be it for me. I got the one now, and he's 10 times more entertaining to watch and at the glass. Both fish love you equally, but its obvious this Red Devil is more interested in being active. Oscars are exactly like puppies when you first get them. But as puppies do too, Oscars get big and tired. Also something like HITH can be resembled to Parvo. Its pretty sad, but like these others, I feel like making the suggestion to get another fish soon. If you are curious about something quite active, dolphin-like if you will. Then a Red Devil will be much enjoyment. At a small size this fish will dig and dig until they form tunnels to move through, as they grow, they develop very territorial behavior and can be quite aggresive, they have nice fangs. Many of them. You only see these when the fish presses his lips up to the glass as if to give you a nice fang filled kiss. :)

I've not given this RD enough room to really develope a home. But I've seen these fish full grown with room to move and they do move. A little search through google, and you can find Red Devils doing backflips. All the way around wood and ornaments in the tank, They are very accurate in their maneuvering. Its like ballet for them. Their large humps on their heads may seem silly at first, but don't stare down his throat or you are in for a suprise. He not only likes to snap out at your eyeballs, he will ram the glass and seriously flex this poor tiny tank. You can feel the glass bow from force. Not much longer though I hope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store