Honest opinion on Parrot fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
well i am against putting wild caught fish into a tank unless its like huge 10ft by 5 by 5 lol
but thats kind of contradictory as my fish are just future generations of the wild caughts but at least they dont just keep catching wild caughts not breeding them.

edit: just got my 10" red empress male and 7-8" females :headbang2:

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I have parrot fish. I do not think they were artifically made, just one breed bred with another breed. I most likely have a few malwai hybreds in my tank, I mixed them, stuff happens.
I have to question this, what I've read about these fish is they were artificially created and not natural hybrids.
Red devil and severum. Do you really think these fish would spawn if placed together?.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
FYI
there is the blood parrot and there is the Parrot cichlid(Hoplarchus psittacus )
I am guessing, since you mention hybrids, you are referring to the blood parrot.

I am indifferent on the ownership of these 'cichlids' they exist because there is a market for these 'different' fish.

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
First off, I've been a vegetarian for over 4 years, and I'd like to denounce PETA and their practices. The only thing they accomplish is to get us sane vegetarians to look crazy. I don't live to force my beliefs on other people.

Second, I'm curious how everyone feels about genetically modified fish, like the GloFish? From my limited knowledge they seem to suffer no deficiency in the quality of life compared to their non-glowing counterparts?

(Is it alright to defy nature if its not interrupting the comfort of the animal?)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
First off, I've been a vegetarian for over 4 years, and I'd like to denounce PETA and their practices. The only thing they accomplish is to get us sane vegetarians to look crazy. I don't live to force my beliefs on other people.

Second, I'm curious how everyone feels about genetically modified fish, like the GloFish? From my limited knowledge they seem to suffer no deficiency in the quality of life compared to their non-glowing counterparts?

(Is it alright to defy nature if its not interrupting the comfort of the animal?)
you may choose to start another thread directed at your question.

the poster here is asking for opinions regarding Parrot fish(Blood parrot?)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
PLEASE leave PETA out of this. they have no credability on their subjects. their views are so twisted and distorted as it is.

of course they're going to be against keeping fish. they are against everything that has to do with animals that would put humans on a higher pedestal. they want to give animals the same rights as people, because we all know that letting a clam vote is going to make more oil fly up out of the ground and create world peace.

ok, so i'll get off my soap box and turn back to the subject at hand.

in the beginning, i liked blood parrots. i thought they looked cool. but now that i have had more experience fish keeping and know the hobby better, ive been able to see that there are SO many other fish that are just as cool and are better looking IMO (like my angel).

nothing against keeping them really.

Tonyvensis

AC Members
Dec 31, 2007
Most people who have kept them did not know they were dyed or hybrids.
The experienced keeper who still keeps them has a lot to answer to IMO.

Sorab

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
London UK
I could never see their attraction, they look ugly and artificial. I dont think its wrong to keep them except of course when they are injected with dye which is even more ugly.

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
i love meat and i like my blood parrots. they are good fish with great personalties. and i did not have to get special food for their mouths. some people are crazy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store