Honest opinion on Parrot fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kh89

AC Members
Dec 14, 2007
I live in Colorado
I have a pair of blood parrots and I love them! They have great personalities. I don't have to get any special food for their mouths, they eat the pellets just fine. They swim fine and seem to be having great lives. I am however against dying fish. I don't think it is right to take it out of the water and inject things like, "I love you" on the fish. I love the vibrant orange color and how it looks in my tank.

fishlover88

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
Im gonna try and be honest with you guys. We dont have a whole lot of complaining to do. Keeping blood parrots is a personal choice. I had two when i started my tanks. I have one that is 6 years old. I first saw one in a lfs that was absolutely huge, about the size of an adult severum. Unfortunately i dont have pics to confirm its size.

We keep fish in tanks. So how about the moral delema in that? So who cares if the fish we keep are "man made" or naturally occur in nature. We keep clown loaches, they are endangered and are actually illegal to import over 6", but do we argue about the morallity of keeping them. no.

Its a fad, those who like them will keep them, and those who dont will post on the internet argueing about how much they hate them.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
I don't have a problem with blood parrots, I think some of them are pretty cool. I've seen some huge healthy ones, and I've yet to see one that can't eat normal foods.

What about fancy goldfish? Manmade or not they suffer the same deformities and some have serious issues with eating or other activities.

It's a personal choice really. I think any fish that can't function normally should be humanely euthanized no matter whether it's manmade or not. If the fish can still eat, swim around, and have a fairly normal life and doesn't seem to be suffering I don't see an issue.

I also don't have a problem with glofish, which I think someone mentioned earlier. I think they're pretty cool, but genetic modification isn't something I feel strongly against like a lot of people *shrug*.

I really don't agree with dying, however. There's no valid reason to strip the slime coat off of a fish and make a different color in a seemingly painful procedure just because someone wants a pretty blue fish. Same goes for tattooing fish.

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I dont mind hybirds,sure there man made but if they boost the aquarium hobby and get new people interested its good for us. Look at dogs we mutated them for our amusement and certain looks.They too have health problems,hip problems and problems breathing. Lots of the poeple against hybyrds would never own a mutt dog. A Blood Parrot should be considered a Purebred its axactly how someone wanted them to look. Look at wild verses aquarium species of all fish,they all have been altered in some way to make them more appealing with color enhancing food or whatever. I guess to each there own,but its something that will never be stopped. Again im not putting down disliking Parrots and hybirds,just expressing my own opinion..

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
I dont mind hybirds,sure there man made but if they boost the aquarium hobby and get new people interested its good for us. Look at dogs we mutated them for our amusement and certain looks.They too have health problems,hip problems and problems breathing. Lots of the poeple against hybyrds would never own a mutt dog. A Blood Parrot should be considered a Purebred its axactly how someone wanted them to look. Look at wild verses aquarium species of all fish,they all have been altered in some way to make them more appealing with color enhancing food or whatever. I guess to each there own,but its something that will never be stopped. Again im not putting down disliking Parrots and hybirds,just expressing my own opinion..
The difference is that dogs are all the same species, while a blood parrot is far from purebred, when it in fact is a mix of at least a couple of species. A blood parrot is more like a hybrid between a dog and a coyote

mr.key

circumambulator
Dec 30, 2007
I don't like blood parrots because of their deformities and the problems that can arise from this.

You could say similar things about certain goldfish varieties as well, but they have the patina of age conferring acceptability.

In general though I prefer to keep unmodified fish no long fins or anything like that as I think they are healthier.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I have noticed that a lot of people here keep Parrot fish. What is everone elses view on Parrot fish. Not to offend anyone but I think anyone that keeps
Parrot fish cannot call themselves proper fish keepers. They are a man made
monstrocitie. Most are dyed and suffer terrible health problems. Even swimming for these fish is a chore. Their spines are curved and as they get older/bigger, terrible pressure is exerted on their swimbladder causing mobility
problems and ill health.

Please see this as a proper post with potential for great debate. I don`t want a slagging match/name calling session. I am totally against dyed and
man made fish.
Fish keepers are always open to hybridising/cross breeding but Parrots are
deliberately contrived by man and are a total discrace IMO.

What are you opinions.
well lets see. I am not a proper fish keeper because I keep one? mine is so healthy, like a big dog he eats out of my hand pellets, flake and everything else. he is huge, about 7 inches so far. and I have not lost any fish, I say i am a good fish owner and a proper fish keeper at that!! mine swim well, play with the other fish and is so fun. so opinions like yours are meant to be mean and mean spirited when you tell us we are not proper fish keepers. no we do not have marine tanks, no we do not have "monster fish" but if I can keep my tank clean, well running, my fish grow well and eat so good. then I think I am what you call " a great fish keeper !
Have a wonderful day :)

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-serif, sans-serif][SIZE=+3]Where did Dogs come from[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-serif, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Some species come from the Canis familiaris puitiantini, a very large animal related to the wolf and similar to some primitive Molosos, and other from the Canis familiaris nostrazewi, a considerably smaller canid and related to the dingo. It is believed that most canine breeds come from the crossbreeds of the small primitive[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-serif, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] dog with different animals like the wolf,fox, golden jackal, etc. The dog and all the breeds we have today are entirely created by man. No such thing as a Purebred ? [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Petkeeping and fishkeeping is a hoby to be enjoyed. These threads never end well because of our love for the hobby. Giving us strong opinions due to our personal choices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store