How can you tell if you over feed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree with Oriongirl 100%

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Another tip:

A fish's stomach is usually about the same size as their eyeball.

Therefore, that's about how much you should feed them (keeping in mind that they do crush their food up; just imagine how much flake, when powdered, would take up that volume.)

I feed my fish roughly that amount every 2-3 days. Also, I am totally in agreement about the variety in your pet's diet. (the fish have more cans of food than I do in the pantry and the fridge :D )

SBA

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Birmingham, UK
Visit site
loralove

basically it means you have too many fish for the size of the tank and the filtration that you have. therefore the biological filter cannot cope with the ammonia excreted by the fish (which could be the cause of your cloudy water), and will probably end up with recurring illnesses and water problems.

there is no easy way to reduce it a lot (less food will help) except for increasing the size of the tank or removing some of the present incumbents (back to the LFS?).

HTH
Ade

Stuart Watson

AC Members
Jun 30, 2003
London, UK.
www.succeedsystems.co.uk
Comment on feeding ...

I feed my community tank each morning on the "eye-ball" size principle and ensure it all goes, normally in 30 seconds, and add half-dozen pellets for the 3 congo frogs, or half a small block bloodworms.

On the crab tank, small amount of bloodworms as above or pellets, then flake as above for the 8 barbs.

In the evening, I give a small sprinkle of flake and pellets in both tanks just to relax the fish overnight and I have a very happy set of tanks and good water with almost no substrate debris.

Same with the goldfish.

Sounds like i am overfeeding here so I might switch to mornings only however all seems cool, AND the fish get greens from the plants which I allow for sacrifice!!

Then after this if I remeber I feed the family :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store