How do you acclimate or not? Why?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How do you acclimate your new fish?

• Total voters

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
hmm that is interesting.

I will still go with slowly acclimating more sensitive fish that haven't been in a bag for too long though. Even if it isn't the difference in PH that causes harm, the differences in water chemistry does seem to stress them out from what I have experienced.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
Float the bag for about 20 mins. [no specific reason for that amount] then net the fish, never dumping in tank water obviously. Keep a close eye on them. And I've never had an issues with that method. Heartiest fish I own are my 2 bettas. Lol. But that's how I do it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
pH acclimation takes a lot more than drip...it is a physical procees over hours that the fishies body adjusts to and makes allowance for....it's not gonna happen in a few minutes let alone hours...

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
I drip acclimate everything unless I am transferring to another tank. After drip acclimating for an hour or so, I float the bag to get the temp the same as my tank water. It has always been my assumption(false?) that the fish I have shipped to me are fasted for24-48 hours to decrease any chance of fish poo during shipment. I do always add prime to the bag as soon as I open it though.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I drip acclimate everything unless I am transferring to another tank. After drip acclimating for an hour or so, I float the bag to get the temp the same as my tank water. It has always been my assumption(false?) that the fish I have shipped to me are fasted for24-48 hours to decrease any chance of fish poo during shipment. I do always add prime to the bag as soon as I open it though.
Oh that is true. I fast ALL my critters before shipment but unless they are moved to a brand new tank with NOTHING in it, they still pick and graze and produce poo, just a whole lot less of it without being intentionally fed.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
I have done all three. although i have stop using the last method. It also depends on who I buy the fish from. Last time I used the acclimation method I had a Badis Badis jump out of the container and fall 4ft to the concrete floor. Lucky for me the fish made it. He was a little dusty and covered in lint but survived.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I float to equalize the temp, and after 15-30 minutes I drop them in. I've never drip acclimated snails or shrimp, i just let the temps equal out, and then i plop them in...

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i float the bag and add tank water to it about a half cup at a time, every 5 to 10 minutes. once tank water and bag water are at about equal amounts i net the fish out and plop it in the tank. have never lost a fish with this method. pretty much all the fish i get are from local stores or other local hobbyists, so there is negligible difference in water sources.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
If switching fish to different tanks, I just plop and drop.
New stock from a trusted LFS gets a floating for 30 minutes, add some tank water, then plop and drop.
Stock from other places get a drip acclimation.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I have been drip acclimating my critters since I got serious about this hobby (three years ago).

I actually received a bag of koi angels from a club member earlier this year and they were good stock (healthy and normal). This seller put the angels in a bag of treated tap water instead of their tank water and brought them to the meeting for me. The meeting lasted 3 hrs. and the angels were starting to swim upside down before the meeting let out. I cam straight home, started drip acclimating and all 6 angels were dead within a half hour. I told the seller about it, he replaced the angels for me as he felt he initially caused their deaths by putting them in new tap instead of old tank water. I'm thinking ammonia had built up too quickly in the bag and that by drip acclimating, I increased the toxicity of the ammonia.

I will definitely drop fish straight in the tank next time I see them suffering like that in a bag. I may start doing this dump method with shipped fish as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store