How do you say Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How do you pronounce betta?

• Bay-tah

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Beh-tah

Votes: 34 39.1%

• Total voters

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I say "bay-tuh". I go by having lived in many places and other countries--if it works for me, great. Although, I sometimes really botch up a word and let someone else help me out. Looooove words. Werd.

yogias

www.justgiving.com/susanmoseley
Jan 23, 2007
West Wales, UK
i pronounce it 'Siamese Fighter'.................

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Definitely not a boring fish. In fact it is one of the most beautiful small freshwater fish.

Marinemom

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I pronounce it bay-tah, although I still question myself. There's a ton of stuff I'm not too clear about in terms of pronunciation. One example would be Riccia. Ris-sia or Rik-kia?
But yeah, is there a right way of saying the name betta or do both work?
I tend to just avoid saying the name when I'm not too sure. Haha
It's properly "Rikkia" but lots of people say "Rissia" or "Riksia". As a general rule C's in scientific names are pronounced like a K; so are CH's. So the peacock bass genus Cichla is pronounced "Kikla", and the family of which it is the type is pronounced "Kiklidae".

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Ah... thanks! I'll probably be saying Rikkia now, although I wonder if I'll get weird looks by people who pronounce it Rissia. lol, or maybe they'll start to ponder about it themselves and start feeling awkward about the word.

Ah, the joy of fish keeping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store