How do you say Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How do you pronounce betta?

• Bay-tah

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Beh-tah

Votes: 34 39.1%

• Total voters

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I usually say "that fish in the cup" so that they'll know what I'm talking about.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It's properly "Rikkia" but lots of people say "Rissia" or "Riksia". As a general rule C's in scientific names are pronounced like a K; so are CH's. So the peacock bass genus Cichla is pronounced "Kikla", and the family of which it is the type is pronounced "Kiklidae".
Cichlidae is pronounced 'Sick-lid-ee'
The first 'c' sounds like an 's', not a 'k'.

'ae' in scientific names sound like 'ee'
Felidae, canidae, etc.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
I've always pronounced it bay-tah, and most other fishy folk here do too, so if i were to switch it up and start saying beh-tah, they would all look at me funny! lol.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Cichlidae is pronounced 'Sick-lid-ee'
The first 'c' sounds like an 's', not a 'k'.

'ae' in scientific names sound like 'ee'
Felidae, canidae, etc.
That's the way many people pronounce it, but it is technically incorrect if one is following Latin rules of pronunciation. Also, the correct Latin value of the diphthong "ae" is closer to English long I than long E, but almost no one (at least in the US) pronounces it that way. A Roman would say "Ki-kli-die", not "Sik-kli-dee".

It all comes down to personal preference and convention, of course. I had many fun debates with one of my biology professors about why he insisted on certain classical rules in the pronunciation of neolatin terms and threw other rules out the window.

In the end, so long as others understand what you are saying, then you are communicating effectively. The rest is just academic argument, which I find fun, but has no real bearing on anything.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Well, that's good....'cause you're wrong!

I'm just teasing, of course. But your pronunciations don't follow English OR Latin rules.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store