How long can cory cats live?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I don't really know, but as mentioned, I've heard stories of some of the more ancient cories living 'til 20. Probably more like 11-15 in god conditions, maybe longer if they're **~ideal~**

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I'm impressed. Mine never seem to live more than a year or two. Perhaps I"m doing something wrong :(

snflwr78

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
NE Ohio
Thanks for the info, I feel much better now! And interstingly enough after spending the last 6 weeks getting educated about this new hobby/obsession, I can say that his tank was generally less than ideal. My mom often overstocked the 10g (big goldfish and angelfish are what I remember most), and when I asked her about cycling, my mother had "never heard of it". Over 16 years with a fish tank and never hearing of cycling... makes me love the internet even more!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you feeding them?? They are pigs, not just scavengers.

TheresaL

Registered Member
Mar 24, 2022
My sweet emerald cory, Snuffleuppagus, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 years old. We know this because we got him within 2 years of our 24 year old iridescent shark, Jaws, also his tank mate. We have made mistakes in these many years of fishkeeping, he is with others of different species, but not his own for example, and the tank is not large enough at 55 gal. to accommodate more fish at this point (his adopted siblings are huge.) But we try our hardest to keep things clean, feed them well and nutritiously, and let them know they are loved. It seems to be working. Most fish, if they survive past the acclimation stage from the store, live in the neighborhood of 11 years with us. I wanted to post this not only because I'm proud of my babies, but also to say sometimes doing your best with what you have can be enough. We don't all have the funds or room (or floor load capacity) for 300 gallon tanks I'm afraid.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Brochis sp. are known to live for decades (over 20 years for a couple of them in one of my aunt's tanks when growing up), but I have heard of longer lifespans.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
My sweet emerald cory, Snuffleuppagus, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 years old. We know this because we got him within 2 years of our 24 year old iridescent shark, Jaws, also his tank mate. We have made mistakes in these many years of fishkeeping, he is with others of different species, but not his own for example, and the tank is not large enough at 55 gal. to accommodate more fish at this point (his adopted siblings are huge.) But we try our hardest to keep things clean, feed them well and nutritiously, and let them know they are loved. It seems to be working. Most fish, if they survive past the acclimation stage from the store, live in the neighborhood of 11 years with us. I wanted to post this not only because I'm proud of my babies, but also to say sometimes doing your best with what you have can be enough. We don't all have the funds or room (or floor load capacity) for 300 gallon tanks I'm afraid.
I also have 2 emerald corys that have benn in a 10gal. and then moved to a 55gal and have lived at least 16yrs so far, and I just got 2 more young ones! They are very hardy fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store