How Many Does It Take....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike Rathnow

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Michigan
Sorry I Posted This....

What I find absurd, is the way everyone want to argue about how algae grows. I didn't write the post in the first place about the growth of algae. It was about people asking what fish should they get to get rid of their algae. So I'll leave it at that. Buy all the otto's,pleco's, or what ever fish you think will get rid of your algae. And good luck. I'll just move on to other forums. Everyone have a good life. I'M GONE!!!!!

Mike

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I made this a sticky in order to emphasize that adding alage consumers is not a solution to an algae problem, though they may be part of a solution. I stand by that reason, and it doesn't matter one way or the other WHY or HOW algae becomes a problem in the tank.

Mike--I would hope that you will choose to stay.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I agree with the basic sentiments of the original post (that biological agents aren't an alternative to regular tank maintenance), but if we emphasize that adding algae-eating organisms to our tanks is not the solution to an algae problem, then the "how" and "why" of algal growth becomes something we must address. Algae cannot thrive on light alone, and limiting available nutrients in the water column, either from the use of plants or water changes, are the easiest ways to keep algae growth to a minimum and still be able to see our charges without resorting to sole reliance on algae-eating organisms.

Mike,

Your initial message that one cannot rely on the tank's inhabitants to replace maintenance on the part of the owner is something that should be brought to the attention of many people. I cringe at the number of times I've heard something to the effect of, "So, these fish will eat the dirt/poop, right?" However, you've got to appreciate the dynamic and uncontrollable nature of an online bulletin board. If you plan on moving on to other forums in order to prevent encountering differing opinions, then you'll find yourself sorely out of luck.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Mike I am sorry to hear that.

Mike I hope you reconsider you decision to leave. A good forum always has differing opinions. You can't expect people to agree on something that is not entirely true, and fact of the matter is algae needs more than just sunlight to grow. If you can accept this than I am sorry that you feel that way. Anyway I just wanted to post this to tell you that no one is out there to criticize you, but we are all looking for the most acurate information we can get, thats what makes this forum so good. Again I hope you reconsider. :)

gemjunkie

AC Members
Sep 8, 2005
You know, I don't know why people insist on fighting algae? I've found algae very beneficial in many of my tanks. It takes out many harmful nasties so I don't have to worry that my fish are going to die in between weekly water changes without adding a bunch of chemicals. I test my water. The more green algae there is in the tank, the better the water conditions stay in between cleanings.

I have some 'janitor' fish in a couple tanks. IF a tank gets too 'green' I may throw a 'janitor' in there for a few days to clean up some of the 'green'. I have noticed, that even carnivorous fish will occasionally nibble on the algae as well. I do however, keep the fronts of all my tanks clean so I can see the fish and do my weekly chores on those tanks.

SO, you can say my tanks look nasty, tell me to clean that tank, tell me I'm abusing my fish because of that algae and I'll laugh in your face! Buy a simple test kit, do your basic water changes, have proper airation and filtration, and see what your parameters are. I will garantee you, the green tanks will have better readings than your spotless ones....

(The only tank I don't have much algae in, has TONS of plants. Seems the plants have a way of taking the nutrients before the algae has a chance to take hold... Which also assists in keeping the water in that tank VERY clean!)

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Healthy green algae does a wonderfull job, as do other plants, in using the nitrogen products that are the bane of hobbyists. Lawn fertilizers are high in notrogen for lush grass growth.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Everybody wants to take things to the point of logical absudity. Algae have mineral requirements in addition to light, and to hold that they do not is not just incorrect, it is absurd, a logical impossibility. Algae cannot tranmute photons and H2O into nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, carbon, iron and all the other traces. Algae + high-resistance RODI water + light -> nothing but starving algae and water, a bit warmer than it was before the light was turned on.

But, the original point was well taken and well presented. Yes, you can use "work crews" to assist in tank upkeep and reduce your own upkeep on the tank. But those crews are not magic and will not and cannot compensate for basic mismanagement of a tank. That is valuable info which should be understood by everyone in the hobby.

Paul

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Natick, MA
www.geocities.com
This is an interesting thread, but why is it a sticky? Isn't a sticky supposed to contain some basic information or recommendations that most people in the forum would agree about or find useful - like Fertilizer Recommendations & Info in the Aquatic Plants Forum? The original post contained some interesting comments about not relying on bottom feeders to clean a tank, but the thread quickly degenerated into an argument about algae growth. Since the original poster bailed out of the thread in disgust, I doubt that he thinks it should be a sticky.

fishtank88

AC Members
Sep 4, 2005
Alpharetta, Georgia
TKOS said:
Umm, nutrient level is food for plants and algae is just a plant. Plants or algae can't grow without food so algae can't grow without food. Sunlight itself is not food. Excess sunlight in the pressence of excess food can lead to algal growth but excess sunlight and no food does not.
one word photosynthesis

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
one word photosynthesis
I hate to jump in on something already so off topic, esp. only to further it, but that last statement made me really feel the need to post this.

Quite simply, here is photosynthesis:

light + 6CO2 + 12H20 --> C6H12O6 +6O2

Light is not the only thing that makes photosynthesis.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store