How Many Does It Take....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
I agree in general that it's our responsibilty to take care of these little artificial environments of ours. When we decide to keep fish, it's a big investment in time, money, and labor to keep them in tip top condition for our aquatic guests.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to add some guests to assist us in biological control for our tank. I added snails to help keep my sand clean and turned over. They don't mind sifting it a bit, and I love to watch them work. I added clowns to keep the snails under control, and they are frisky little guys who amuse me as well as act as snail hawks. My pleco's did such a good job nibbling algae off the walls <and still do despite their size> I fetched them an environment that would suit their size when they started to grow up.

There's really nothing wrong with wanting some fish to help us take care of our tanks, so long as we're just as invested in our helpers as we are in our showpiece fish. So think about what you're wanting to accomplish before you go get a cleaner fish. If you can't make the investment in that fish's well being, perhaps it would be better if you just took care of the problem yourself.

Hypatia

AC Members
May 1, 2006
I agree with the previous poster. Of course there are people out there who do not intend to take good care of the organisms in their care and are looking for some easy way out (you know they want to have thier aquarium-cake & get corys to eat the pooh... tee he :) ). However, getting on a forum and asking about how many fish are needed or safe to have to keep algae down is really not the same as being lazy and not caring about being a responsible hobbyist. And those who legitimately don’t care (as oppose to just don’t know the full story yet) don’t even take the time and energy to come here to ask questions.

I was much more into the aquarium hobby about 15 years ago then I am now, and back then as I remember it, a big push was having beneficial organisms and balanced biological systems in your tank so that you would not need excessive chemicals to control nitrites, algae, snails, etc (which was at the time the old way). What I am saying is we would have thought it far better to barrow a loach and pamper it with snails for a few months than to add toxins to the water to kill them off. As far as algae goes, as others have said, algae is a natural normal part of pond life and the breaking down of nitrates. It *IS* one of "mother nature's" superior designs in the big version of aquariums to which the original poster was referring (for that matter so are snails, loaching eating snails, and even bottom feeders eating what other fish think is icky crud from the bottom). We don't like algae because we think it looks ugly, or it steals food from the lovely plants we are trying to grow, or it blocks our view of the fish on the front of the tank. But it is not fish abuse, to have a lot of light and grow algae or to have fish around who like to eat it (as long as you are otherwise caring for their needs). And you don't have to "love watching" plecos to have a healthy happy aquarium where the pleco thrives on algae and leftover food (again as long has you make sure the type of pleco you have can thrive this way... in my old 55 we grew an 8” long pleco from a tiny baby this way but he was not one of your new shyer fancy variety and the “left-over” food was a combo of frozen brime & worms and community flake with occasional fresh vegies).

I would be more gentle and diplomatic and less possibly inflamatory with this next remark, but the original poster has left the forum in a huf already, so I will just say it the way I see it......

When I read the original post, it just sounded like chest beating to me... "I am so wise and educated and work so hard to keep my aquarium, unlike all those selfish uneducated newbies... don't you think we are all better then them?" To be honest, I don’t' keep my little aquarium because I am into self sacrifice or because I need it as an accomplishment to bolster my identity. I keep it because it is relaxing and fun. I come to these forums to learn more and share the joy I find in my plant and fish habitat with others who happen to enjoy it too (unlike my husband who is tired of hearing about it already ;) ) .... And You can't say you value everyone knowing all the info there is to know these days, when what you are going on about is how people make it obvious they don't know anything is by the questions they ask.
Getting defensive about someone telling you the facts of biology, or starting a self congratulatory us/demonize them post on such a trivial point as what-were-your-real-intentions-when-you-bought-your-cory doesn't fall into the category of really helpful info to me. Nor does it seem to add to all the great info about all the different ways to decrease algae or warnings to “make sure you don't just add loaches, corys, ottos, plecos, ect to do your dirty work without meeting their holistic needs” that already exists out there. I would vote (if I got a vote) to remove this as a sticky, and add the sticky tag to one of the former type threads instead. I am new here, so I am not sure I should get a vote, but I am hopeful that this poster’s thread does not exhibit the kind of community behavior that is really desired here.

Hypaita

Last edited:

NecrochildK

The oddball
Sep 20, 2006
Lafayette, Louisiana
Halo said:
There's really nothing wrong with wanting some fish to help us take care of our tanks, so long as we're just as invested in our helpers as we are in our showpiece fish. So think about what you're wanting to accomplish before you go get a cleaner fish. If you can't make the investment in that fish's well being, perhaps it would be better if you just took care of the problem yourself.
Honestly, I think of my pleco as one of my showpiece fish. I love watching him scootch along the tank walls, not to mention that beautiful display of his fins when he gets excited. "Ooh! I just found a good patch! This is nummy! Numnumnumnum!::and the fins go up!::" Though I like keeping unusual things, not always colorful, but very odd looking, like the butterfly fish or right now I have a bichir in there along with a dojo loach.

I really do think this a good thread though, a very good point. Nothing wrong with keeping a 'janitor' fish, just don't overload the tank with them thinking they'll take care of it all. (Speaking of my little helper, he just found something he likes! Cutest thing in the world!) I see it more as a joint effort with you taking control of most of the job. I mean this is just something the fish enjoys doing, eating. And you have to be sure it has enough food too, the tank won't always have algae if you keep it up properly, and so you have to supplement the 'janitor's' diet. Like giving him compensation on the job for when things are quiet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store