How many? yellow lab/demasoni in 47 tall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
I think that footprint is too small for any mbuna, even the dwarf. A shellie tank would be a better option, with some rockwork for julies in the mix.
I understand fish are comfortable in groups of their own kind, so more=better... well, somewhere south of overcrowding anyway; but you don't think there's an acceptable compromise for this tank?

four? two?

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
I'm not going to make any rash decisions of course, but right now I like the Ps Saulosi idea. Those are a beautiful species.
Having trouble finding good pictures/info on the shellies at the moment.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I don't think the tank is big enough for either species. Demasoni are super aggressive and need to be kept in groups of at least 12. IMO they also need at least a 4 foot tank. Otherwise they start killing each other. There needs to be enough room for the fish to escape each other and claim territories. a 20Inch tank just doesn't provide enough floor space for them.

You might be able to get away with a species tank of Ps saulosi. The males are blue with black stripes and the females are bright yellow. They are a dwarf mbuna and only get to be around 3 inches. If you put a ton of rock in the tank they might be ok.
:iagree: Notice the MIGHT up there though. When it comes to Mbuna length is the most important dimension, you rarely see a fish trying to escape an attack by going from the back to the front of a tank.....maybe if it was 3 foot deep (back to front) that'd be a different story. At 20" long I don't even know any expert cichlid/mbuna keepers that would try it (a 10g is 20" long for reference). I don't want to be discouraging but I think you will enjoy your tank and have a lot less complication if you went another route with this tank and saved the mbuna for a larger tank.

Shellies would be good with maybe some julies. Bristlenose plecos are good with the more docile cichlids. There are lots of options out there.

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
multi's would be great.
please excuse my ingnorance, but what are these? temperament, size etc... do they get along well in 'confined' spaces?

Having a huge number of fish is not my goal.. I want them to be comfortable... anything will be better than the ~15 black neons that are curently hiding in the wood/plants ALL THE TIME! I wouldn't even know there were any in there if it werent' for the moon lights.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I understand fish are comfortable in groups of their own kind, so more=better... well, somewhere south of overcrowding anyway; but you don't think there's an acceptable compromise for this tank?

four? two?
Not with mbuna. You will likely end up with a lone mbuna in the tank after it kills the others. They really need a much longer tank, I wouldn't do them in less than a 4' tank, especially if this is your first time keeping them. You want to stack things in your favor for success.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Multies are Lamprologus multifasciatus (some places still have them listed as Neolamprologus multifasciatus). They are a small shell dweller and have fascinating colony behavior. They're not colorful but make up for it with their behaviors.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Neolamprologus multifasciatus, they are shellies. If you look up shell dwelling cichlids you'll find a ton of info. They are interesting fish without a doubt.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
When I suggested Ps saulosi I was thinking that since the tank footprint was 20" by 18" it was a bit more like a cube that would give the fish a bit more room to form territories. I've heard of keeping saulosi in a 29 gallon but it's hit or miss.

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
When I suggested Ps saulosi I was thinking that since the tank footprint was 20" by 18" it was a bit more like a cube that would give the fish a bit more room to form territories. I've heard of keeping saulosi in a 29 gallon but it's hit or miss.
1 male and 3 females?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store