How many? yellow lab/demasoni in 47 tall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Lab brings up a good pount about these being your first experiences with mbuna.

So on to other options! I think a pair of small dwarf cichlids would be neat. A pair of curviceps, rainbow cichlids, or rams would be perfect. For the upper part of the tank I find endlers to be awesome. But some sort of small tetras in like embers them maybe some bottom feeders like small cories.

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
I've been dreaming about it for awhile now but I am downgrading tanks not adding more! :D
Me too! But as we all know, this would be super in involved to initially set up. I looked into these types of setups while trying to decide what to do with a 30" tall tank. I decided to start slow, and just fill it all the way up! Now, I'm in a graduate program, and will have NO time to do that for the foreseeable future ... Actually, I shouldn't even be here now :/

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
The tetras would be ok, also some pencilfish might work. The habrosus cories stay an inch or so, and mine use every square inch of my tank.

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
Lab brings up a good pount about these being your first experiences with mbuna.

So on to other options! I think a pair of small dwarf cichlids would be neat. A pair of curviceps, rainbow cichlids, or rams would be perfect. For the upper part of the tank I find endlers to be awesome. But some sort of small tetras in like embers them maybe some bottom feeders like small cories.
Rams have always interested me, those are beautiful fish. I'm not familiar with curvicepts though. Tetras I love... if they'll show themselves.

What do you mean by this: "But some sort of small tetras in like embers them"

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
I meant to type "and" some sort of tetras like Ember tetras.
OK, so I imagine something like this: endlers or ember tetras for the top, one pair of rainbow cichlids for the middle, and some cories to cruise around on the bottom.

That would be very efficient use of the space.

stripe157

AC Members
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks! You've all given me a lot to think about. I'll have to ponder over this thread for quite a while before I decide on anything.

I'm really relieved to discover that cichlids other than mbuna's are still an option. I'll go check out a pair of rainbows as soon as I get a chance. The chain stores here have few options, but suprisingly, healthier fish than the private stores.

For now though I gotta get back to work, Thanks again for all the suggestions/time everyone contributed. I'll be checking back often to see what else we can come up with.
Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store