how predatory are crayfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
......or i could find a way to put a tank divider in.
They'll probably climb right over the divider to the other side.

I've seen them make it to neighboring tanks at various chain stores around here even with a partial roof blocking their way.

floridaskunkape

AC Members
Jan 13, 2010
The Crayfish I've had were of the seafood store variety, red swamp something i think, but yeah, never able to have 2. always death. They will try to get fish till they eat them all, dark colored, slow moving, and ground sleepers first. They will escape and chase children. I tried to rubberband one's claws and put it in with a fire hap chiclid. Fish killed it, and pulled his claws off. somehow. I had the thought of superglueing their claws. It could work until a molt.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
The Crayfish I've had were of the seafood store variety, red swamp something i think, but yeah, never able to have 2. always death. They will try to get fish till they eat them all, dark colored, slow moving, and ground sleepers first. They will escape and chase children. I tried to rubberband one's claws and put it in with a fire hap chiclid. Fish killed it, and pulled his claws off. somehow. I had the thought of superglueing their claws. It could work until a molt.

Or better yet, DON'T KEEP FISH AND INVERTS TOGETHER THAT ARE INCOMPATIBLE! Seriously people, would you superglue a fish's mouth shut for eating shrimp? :irked:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Superglueing a crays claws shut would be rather cruel. Actually it'd probably be more humane to flat out remove the claws (still rather cruel to do).

Lobster have their claws banded, not because it isn't a horrible thing to do to them, but because they are food.

These are animals that use their claws for just about everything. Climbing, eating, hunting, establishing pecking order (this is usually why lobsters claws are banded), self-defense. The reason I say it would be more humane to remove the claws on a pet in this case is atleast the animal adapts to not having them, rather then constantly trying to use them when it can't. Think of it like tying a person's arms behind their back then making them go about their day, rather then glueing a fish's mouth shut.

Either way it probably wouldn't work anyways. Glue isn't as strong under water. It bonds and can be used to attach plants/rocks but if you ever tried to superglue things in an aquarium you'd see that it is VERY easy (compared to the bond formed outside of water) to break that bond.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
actually, they do most of their eating with the front two pair of clawed
walking legs. the main large claw is primarially for display and hunting.
I cut half the thumb off my crayfish's cheliped. they don't really care,
and it grows back as good as new after two molts. however, even this
strategy does not change the crays bad behavior, only it's effectiveness.

IMHO: it's really no different than trimming all 18 nails on my indoor only cat.

Last edited:

knifegill

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
My baby crays (all 100+ of them) did a good job of eliminating all the bladder snails in their tank but have not eaten the planorbid snails. Don't know why, just suggesting it might be worth a try if nothing else.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
if a snail shell has either a trapdoor or a lot more space free deeper in the shell for the snail to escape, that may explain why one snail survived and the other didn't. observing ramshorn one might conclude that the extra free space is not only used as an out of reach safe room, but also to trap air that allows them to be more buoyant to feed on finer plants, and even to float and feed under the water's surface itself. the fatal flaw for the ramshorn vs any crayfish is the ramshorn shell is relatively thin and easy to break open.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
if you want something that looks mostly like a cray and have fish with it, look into bamboo or vampire shrimp

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
fan shrimp are a great alternative to crayfish,
but many fan's starve to death in hobby tanks.

so from an ethical standpoint;
clip your crayfish claws a bit
or risk starving a fan shrimp.
kind of a jump ball there ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store