How to apply a background?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtnhomedude

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
Hi AC
I have a 55g community tank that is well established! I replaced my old background with a new one. The new one is a bright blue that came off the roll at the lfs! In the past I used vegetable cooking oil, but it failed, it was messy and it attracted roaches!! This time I tried a spray bottle with about 4 drops of dish washing liquid, but after 5 days its starting to become spotty with air bubbles. I dont want to tear down the tank or paint it!!

Did I not use enough soap??
What have yall used?

:help:

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I've used Vaseline jelly instead of the oil and it has worked pretty well. It's held well except a little curling in the corners.

There is also some product which is made just for this purpose.

An alternative to the background rolls is spray painting. One one tank I spray painted the back (outside) of the tank it it turned out well. Just had to do a couple of coats. Of course you can only do this if your tank is empty.

mtnhomedude

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll try the Vaeline method and if that doesnt work I'll go get some of that seaview!!

Thanks and may your fish stay wet!!

mtnhomedude

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
Well I dont have any Vaseline but my last girlfriend left a almost full bottle of personal lubricant! Wonder if that will work?

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I just tape one side, stretch it taut and tape the other. It's always worked for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store