How to convert from 20gal brackish to saltwater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well can I keep live rock with this light? Yeah, no corals for me. And I live in the bay area.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
yes but like 70 miles south. I just finished up, took about 3 hours or 4. I bought 50 bls of playsand from OSH for $5 and I used about half. My sandbed it about 2.5-3 inches deep. I will constantly check water and I'm going to my LFS to return the shrimp. It's 5 mns away o if fish get in need, they will go too. We will see..

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well I already got the playsand and its in. Took a long time to do... Did'nt you say play sand was fine? Many others said it was..
thanks

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
well how would like a 2in sand bed do? or maybe even 3 in sand bed. I will try and go for the sand, and I will check my water params much and if there is a spike, the fish will be taken out and prolly taken back the my LFS. I will try without live rock and we'll see how it goes.

The thing is you want an ammonia spike to occur. As Bob has said the bacteria is not the same in SW and FW (I have no idea about brackish). So if you need the ammonia to spike in order to make sure the tank can handle an ammonia source. This is going to be very important in a 20g (nano) marine tank where a little change in water parameters, bioload, etc. can cause a sudden change rapidly. Sudden rapid changes are NEVER good in a marine tank.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there will be an ammonia spike as the gravel in my tank was not too numerous and also I had tons of decoration to carry the beneficial bacteria including two filter making up of three sponges and a biological media. My fish and still doing great. Ahhaa I didn't see the southdown playsand at OSH, I got quikrete playsand. I'm sure it's almost all the same stuff these playsands'... But maybe not...

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Again, the bacteria for FW is not the same as the bacteria for SW so it doesn't matter if one has kind of bacteria for the other. And because of this you do want a spike to be sure that the new bacteria is established enough to handle the new tank, especially in a nano.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
yeah that's totally true. The thing is though that I didn't go directly from fresh to salt, but from fresh to brack to salt throughout a period. I have not had any fish die during the change and even amano shrimp made it. I took them to my LFS though today. The bacteria had time to change from fresh to brack to salt so its not a big step from fresh to salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store