How to keep Ludwigia Red

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
I have a few Ludwigia in my heavily planted 29g tank; they are doin ok while everything else is too, but the leaves seem to have lost their redness. I have read that they need root tabs to keep their color. Is this true? If it matters, I keep them short, trimmed down to about 3-4" max. Thanks.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
I have a 55 watt Ah Supply kit and DIY co2. Daily the tank gets macros, micros, and Flourish Excel co2.
Your comment about light reminds me that I did get red leaves on the Ludwigia before my tank became heavily grown out. Maybe they're not getting enough light now

Last edited:

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I have a 55 watt Ah Supply kit and DIY co2. Daily the tank gets macros, micros, and Flourish Excel co2.
Your comment about light reminds me that I did get red leaves on the Ludwigia before my tank became heavily grown out. Maybe they're not getting enough light now
well im not 100% sure on the HIGH light requirement, but a few people did tell me that before when i was questioning why my ludwigia wasnt red. But if theres something thats taller than the ludwigia and is blocking the light maybe thats why its not as red.
How far from the top of the tank is the ludwigia? got pix?

Sorab

AC Members
Sep 5, 2007
London UK
Its mostly light levels that count, lower nitrates and enough iron also help, I have read, but chances are that it is the lack of light.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Um- to which ludwigia are your referring? glandulosa, repens, ovalis or arcuata?

fjf888

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Mine grow quite well. My setup is 72G, 260W of light, pressurized CO2, regular macro and micro dosing. I grow them tall in the background and they get up to 24" before I trim back some. Your lighting of appox 2W/gallon, esp on an AH supply kit, should be sufficient for them. You say you keep them trimmed to 3-4", that is probably the issue, mine redden up as they grow. Give them a chance to grow out more and you should start seeing red, you could then replant the red cuttings.

Fred

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I only have 1.3 WPG, and my red ludwigia is almost completely red and has been growing. I don't use ferts or CO2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store