How to keep Ludwigia Red

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
you want red in your ludwigia?

iron, iron, iron.

get yourself a bottle of Flourish Iron supplement, and dose as directed.
:iagree:

In most plants, certain nutrient additions or deprevations are the reason for change in color.

For example, in L. Aromatica one needs to deprive the plant of nitrates in order to bring out the red colors. Rotala Macrandra requires an excess of iron for it's red to become prominent. Only a few plants are dependent on light for color. Quite the opposite, more light leads plants to development more chlorophyl, enhancing green pigments.

For ludwigia, an excess of iron will help bring out a red hue.

Stage

AC Members
Sep 8, 2015
It would help to have red in your light. Red plants keep their color and bright red when you have red light on them.

Red light helps plants grow bushy and horizontal while blue encourages vertical growth but the color of the light will also help the color of the plant. I have an ADA Aquasky 601 on my 22g tank and still my sunset hygro and ludwigia weren't red. I added this and spotlighted my 'red' plants et voila! 2 days later all the new growth was coming in red. Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 9.32.12 AM.png

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Stage--Why are you answering a post that is over 7 years old??

Reactions: Sum-X
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store