How to wash sand substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I can't recall how much I paid...about $20 for a 50lb bag I think. I have sanded 2 10g tanks and have about 2/3 of a bag left. So about $7 per tank.

mrgolf

AC Members
Jan 27, 2008
I am thinking of changing to sand as well and have decided on pool filter sand after reading all the posts. I have an established 55 gal tank with some fake plants and gravel at the moment. My question is what would be the best way to make the change and keep a cycle from starting again?

Icom

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Iowa
Wow...that's a steal. I paid way too much!

I guess so:eek3:..if it was $20 a bag,I'd have just bought Flourite or something

3 places that I checked around here

1) $6.73 50# bag ( furthest from me)

2) $ 7.30 50# bag ( about the same distance as 1st)

3) $ 7.98 50# bag (5 min drive)

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I've heard that pool filter sand is ideal for filters because of it's very angular shape, which made it less suitable for burrowing or sand sifting fish. Any truth to this?

fishfamily

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
New London, MN
i just put in silica sand in my 55 didnt rinse that at all. My cories and koolies love it. So does my dragon fish. Its amazing to watch the cories dig around in it.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I've heard that pool filter sand is ideal for filters because of it's very angular shape, which made it less suitable for burrowing or sand sifting fish. Any truth to this?

I saw some online ads for pool filter sand that was angular, so that it trapped more dirt...maybe mine is, I don't know. But my little corys have no issues burying their faces half under it! It doesn't look anything but granular to me, much as any common sand, just a bit coarser than play sand and very pale. Maybe there's some special types that are angular? I only have a swimming pool after a thunderstorm:) so I'm no expert!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store