How to wash sand substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I guess so:eek3:..if it was $20 a bag,I'd have just bought Flourite or something

3 places that I checked around here

1) $6.73 50# bag ( furthest from me)

2) $ 7.30 50# bag ( about the same distance as 1st)

3) $ 7.98 50# bag (5 min drive)
fact is, I can't remember what I paid...could have been less than $20.00 I paid $24 for my flourite. I chose the filter sand because of its appearance, as much as its performance...I am personally not a big fan of flourite's appearance, but have used it under the filter sand in my new 29g project. The filter sand is easier to see dirt on compared with flourite and I find it less cloudy after a cleaning.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I went to a pool place last week to ask if they had pool filter sand and here's what happened:

Me: Do you guys have pool filter sand?
Guy: Sure, what size pool filter do you guys have?
Me: Actually I'm going to be using it for a fishtank.
Guy: Is it SW or FW?
Me: FW.
Guy: You shouldn't be using it, you should instead use gravel, if you use sand in a FW tank, the fish are dumb enough to try to eat it, and they'll clog their stomach and eventually die of starvation.
Me: Look man, I don't want any trouble, let me know how much it is.
Guy: $20 for 100 pounds
Me: Well then let me buy that.
Guy: Okay, but I've warned you.

Well, now my fish are okay and so are the millions of other fish that are in sanded aquariums.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
I went to a pool place last week to ask if they had pool filter sand and here's what happened:

Me: Do you guys have pool filter sand?
Guy: Sure, what size pool filter do you guys have?
Me: Actually I'm going to be using it for a fishtank.
Guy: Is it SW or FW?
Me: FW.
Guy: You shouldn't be using it, you should instead use gravel, if you use sand in a FW tank, the fish are dumb enough to try to eat it, and they'll clog their stomach and eventually die of starvation.
Me: Look man, I don't want any trouble, let me know how much it is.
Guy: $20 for 100 pounds
Me: Well then let me buy that.
Guy: Okay, but I've warned you.

Well, now my fish are okay and so are the millions of other fish that are in sanded aquariums.
LOL ha hahahahahahahaha Nicely written man! :grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
He keeps dumb fish. Mine never bother with it. I saw a rasbora pick a bloodworm off the bottom and get some sand in his mouth - he just spat it out...what does the guy think fish eat off in the wild...china dishes and tablecloths?

JimInIndy

AC Members
Dec 9, 2007
He keeps dumb fish. Mine never bother with it. I saw a rasbora pick a bloodworm off the bottom and get some sand in his mouth - he just spat it out...what does the guy think fish eat off in the wild...china dishes and tablecloths?
LMAO!!!!! Ain't it the truth!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Same with my ADFs, I hand feed them bloodworms, but I usually drop 2 or 3 and later when they eat it, they get some sand in their mouths, but they usually sift out the bloodworms. Besides, if the tank is SW, what's the difference of SW fishes intelligence compared to a FW fish? What a nutcase that guy was, good thing I don't have to go back soon, that 100 pound bag will last me forever.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I seem to always get strange looks when I buy fish and reptile related stuff at the hardware stores. Black blasting sand was the worst, as every place I tried I had to explain to them why I needed black sand instead of white, and then listen to them tell me their doubts about placing sand in an aquarium.
I used pool filter sand mixed with black aquarium sand. I rinsed it in a bucket, added it to my drained tank, then filled and refilled, using dechlorinator every time, until completely clear with the python. I then added the tank water back ( I saved 50% ), aquascaped, and added the fish. I use a sump with bioballs, and I didn't change any filter media. I didn't have a mini-cycle at all. It did take 4 hours to change out the 55 gallon though. That's no breaks and multi-tasking my butt off. The most time consuming was draining and refilling, but I wanted to make sure my tank was clear before adding the plants and fish back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store