Huge lump on goldfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
3 yrs? I am sure it is causing some discomfort. Not too much is known on this isuue. If you happen to live near school with grad fish pathology dept, I am pretty confident they would love to assist you in depth as I would jump out of my seat to tak a crack at it, not just removal but its study.

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Lupin - I honestly wouldn't want to have a go at it myself. I will honestly start panicking and end up doing something wrong. I would much rather have a real vet do it. I live in Essex in England. I do my best to keep the water clean and fresh(you know what I mean). I feed them enough, not too much, but enough for them. So, I'm hoping he will live well and long. They are both about 7years old, so I don't know how long they have left. I will ring up my local vet on Monday and see it they deal with fish, I'm hoping they will say yes, and then take him down so they can have a look and let me know what they think.

Cerianthus - It may very well be causing some discomfort, but it just doesn't look as though it is. It swims fine and eats well.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
If you could find a vet with hobby in fish keeping, it would be awesome.

As far as doing it yourself, I would not recommend at this stage.

7yrs? You did very well with these goldfish. I just wish there was something we can do to relieve the discomfort.

Good Luck!

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
I'm going to take my camera with the video of the fish down to the vets on Monday hopefully. Then see if she decides she wants to see the fish. I shall let you know what happens.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hmmm...Unlucky that I do not know of a fish vet who lives around Essex. What are your options here? Do you know of any fish vets there?

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
I never even knew there were fish vets:confused: So I won't know of any in Essex. When I see the vet on Monday I shall ask her is she knows of any. She will surely be able to tell me and give me information.

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Okies, well I'm pretty stuffed. There is no where near me that deals with fish. I rang up a vet that does deal with fish, but the bloke who's the one who does it is away and won't be back until 24th. This vets is around 16miles away from me...

Now I'm panicking becuase he's knocked the tumor! I went to have a look at them earlier and noticed his tumor had a red patch on it, upon looking closer he appears to have knocked it and it had started bleeding!! It seems to have stopped bleeding now but he has a bit of skin hanging off. SHOULD I START PANICKING!?? Do I need to seperate him? Do I need to do anything to stop it getting infected????

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Separate it. Isolation tank should be cycled too. Do you have iodine solution? I'd swab the wound with it using a small cotton ball or Q-tip.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Lumps can be due to bacteria or benign and cancerous tumors. I have seen fish that have had benign tumors for many years. In this case, all the fish in the tank had tumors, which means some infectious agent, or, the fish were all treated/overdosed for disease with a tumorigenic medication in the past. It could also be the genetics of the fish. Lumps and bumps that suddenly appear are usually infections. If due to bacteria, it usually resolves by rupture (like a boil) pretty quickly. The white liquid that oozes out is pus that is formed when the white blood cells ( immune cells) die while killing bacteria (in general). DO NOT TRY TO POP OR SQUEEZE THE LUMP. Like a boil in humans, squeezing can cause regurgitation of the pus into the blood stream of the fish with deadly results. It is also not a good idea to seal a draining wound unless it is bleeding. The most common bacteria of GF is Columnaris and aeromonas.

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Separate it. Isolation tank should be cycled too. Do you have iodine solution? I'd swab the wound with it using a small cotton ball or Q-tip.
Cycled? How do I do that?
I don't have an iodine solution, can I get that from a pet shop?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store