huge nitrate problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
Yes. I was buying water at LFS but have installed an RO/DI units about 3 months ago. Something in the tank is causing the problem, (DUH)(RIGHT) anyway, I have tested the water from the LFS as well as water from my unit. Both were fine. I have gone to the extent now of moving all of the rock out of the tank and cleaning the sand bed checking for dead animals etc. Nothing found (except a bannana wrasse I though had bought the farm) He was hidding :) . I really don't have a clue. My shrooms are doing fine multiplying Gorgian seems to be growing Xenia is growing, as well as star Polyp and Zoanthids are doing fine as well. LFS tested my water as well and came up with same results. :rant2:

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
Possible Solution

I talked with a marine biologist yesterday, who told me that every thing in my set up sounded fine. He suggested that I remove all of the Bio-filter material from my filters for a while, as they produce large amounts of Nitrate. Kinda makes sense, since the filter pads and sponges harbor the bacteria that brake down nitrite into Nitrate. He told me that the DSB and the live rock would more than work for my set up. He also suggested. My question now is, do any of you out there have any reason why I should not follow his suggestion? Yes I would be removing the Bacteria needed for the Nitrogen cycle, but that bacteria is also present in the rock and DSB. I am also considering building a 30gal refugium to harbor algea for denitrification as well. As the 2 gal hang on refugium obvioulsy does not help. Any thoughts?

jrjeffery

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
Its amazing how sometimes the answer is right in front of us yet we cannot see it. Made sense to me but I wanted to make sure I was seeing the right thing, not just grassping.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
You'll have to do some waterchanges to get the nitrates down after removing the media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store