Huge Tank - Big Mistake ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
msouth468 said:
If it is a retail store that specializes in Fishinig/outdoor supplies. Then I wouldn't worry about it. They know what they are doing, and most likely the state DNR is keeping an eye on them.
Now that's kinda funny! :D Most likely, this store ordered the tank to be set up near the fishing poles as a decoration... It's part of the floorplan of these fancy mega-sporting goods stores. They're certainly not spending any money on a designated aquarist to look after the health of the fish in the tank! When they die, they just scoop them out and toss a couple fresh ones in.

I'm sure Joe knows what an unhappy fish looks like. I've seen them myself, hovering near the surface, clamped fins, damaged fins, fungus... etc. And when I see it, I complain to the manager of the store, who usually looks at me like i'm an idiot and sends me on my way... "They're ONLY fish!" you know.....

:rolleyes:

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
aknif said:
Now that's kinda funny! :D Most likely, this store ordered the tank to be set up near the fishing poles as a decoration... It's part of the floorplan of these fancy mega-sporting goods stores. They're certainly not spending any money on a designated aquarist to look after the health of the fish in the tank! When they die, they just scoop them out and toss a couple fresh ones in.

I'm sure Joe knows what an unhappy fish looks like. I've seen them myself, hovering near the surface, clamped fins, damaged fins, fungus... etc. And when I see it, I complain to the manager of the store, who usually looks at me like i'm an idiot and sends me on my way... "They're ONLY fish!" you know.....

:rolleyes:
I've never seen any fish in the retail stores I have visited that appear to be unhealthy or poorly taken care of. The water is always clear, tanks clean and the fish look healthy. Even the active predatory fish swim around like they don't have a care in the world. And they can't just "Order" a tank and stock it with whatever native fish they want. They have to follow guidelines and rules otherwise they will be fined. Don't just randomly jump to a conclusion based off 5 minutes of observation. Or what some manager tells you. There may be a problem with the tank that the store is trying to correct. Going up to someone and pointing out every little thing "you" think is wrong is just wasting their time. If you have a problem with the tank, take it up legally with the state.

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
You have a good soul, my friend. To believe that these stores have these tanks in there to show the majesty of the native fish species, not just to sell the better fishing poles.... Perhaps display tanks in Iowa are better than Denver. I'm very rarely impressed with the condition of display tanks, and the fish in them, that I see around here!

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
aknif said:
You have a good soul, my friend. To believe that these stores have these tanks in there to show the majesty of the native fish species, not just to sell the better fishing poles.... Perhaps display tanks in Iowa are better than Denver. I'm very rarely impressed with the condition of display tanks, and the fish in them, that I see around here!
I know they put them there to sell their products. But, think of the volume of people that see those fish. If they weren't taking proper care of them a lot of people would be saying something. And there are people out there that will take legal action against the stores.

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
You're right! Scores of people see that tank, but of those people, only a fraction of a percent would recognize the symptoms of an unhealthy fish, and only a fraction of those people would have the sack to say anything to the manager about it... And after about the 2nd or 3rd run in with a mouthy, fish-passionate customer, I'm very certain the manager has a slick response ready like "Oh! I know! Don't worry, we actually have a vet on the way over right now..." which just means they'll have the big net ready to scoop the sick fish and toss it just as soon as the doors lock that night.

I'm not sure I understand the legal action thing. Some individual would spend their own money to hire a lawyer to sue a giant retailer to take better care of their fish tank? I don't see even the biggest fish fanatic doing that... BUT, if 10 or 15 people complain to the local news station about it... then you'll see some QUICK results! ;) That store will have the highest paid aquarist on staff in about 30 minutes.

Golly, how I'd love that job! :D

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
any retail establishment that has a tank for decoration purposes (i.e. they're not selling pet fish) employs a company that services thier tank for them- they don't have an employee snagging bass from a lake and tossing them in

just like those large saltwater aquariums in restraunts - a company staffed by people who are suposed to know what they're doing set-up and maintain these tanks

if they're doing a bad job - and i think most on this forum can recognize it- find out what company they have maintaining the tank and call them- find out if they're addressing the problem and if they're not then tell the retailer that they need to find a new maintenence co. b/c the one they've got is crap

EDIT: the legal action refered to is the sort where animal rights activist organizations as well as people who work in freshwater biology, etc. (who are usually avid fly fishers or other wise and frequent such stores) create big fusses on nonprofit budgets. . . there are people with the drive and pocketbook to do this.

Last edited:

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
It must be bass pro shop and outdoor world, or as my husband refers to it, mullet central. I've unfortunately had to pass through going to another store. Looks like a field trip for tomorrow...

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
budrecki said:
It must be bass pro shop and outdoor world, or as my husband refers to it, mullet central. I've unfortunately had to pass through going to another store. Looks like a field trip for tomorrow...
Mullet Central...nevermind I'm gonna keep to myself.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
It is Bass Pro Shops, and the bass don't look too good - unless eyes bulging almost out of their eye sockets is a good thing.

I'm guessing they "rotate" the weaker fish at some point and replace them with healthy fish.

Some of the fish I mentioned are brackish water fish, and they will do ok in that tank, but not some of the others.

It's too bad this is going on, I'm sure some "expert" there will say the fish are 'perfect specimens', but that won't convince me. I don't visit often, but next time I will point it out to some "manager". I doubt anything will change -- except more fish added later on....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store