Hybrid/Not a Hybrid (Cichlids)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by JimG

OK I just didn't find your remark very clear, by the rest of your post though it is quite clear you have as poor reading comprehension as you often have the ability to make yourself clear. I have been saying all along that 'species' is not a solidly definable thing and that taxonomists argue back and forth. If YOU were familiar with their published articles over the past century you'd see the species and even genera fall in and out of favor, as I have stated multiple times.

Perhaps you should put your high horse out to pasture before you end up looking even dumper, OK?
You need to do some serious research before you comment any farther. But as Mr. Tolen feared, you are turning this into an argument and making personal attacks at me. In respect to Mr. Tolens request I will not be commenting any more, and I also feel that your attack at me is not worthy of a true response. Besides, I'd hate to look even "dumper".

Originally posted by Rare Cichlids

"If it happens with cats then I'm quite sure it will happen with fish,"

Why?
Because they want to I suppose.

Read this site(near the bottom of the page), I myself have fished for bream, roach and rudd.From time to time I have caught a hybrid(usually roach x rudd).These fish are closely related and are often found in the same areas(gravel pits, slow moving rivers).

http://home.planet.nl/~zoete004/cypriniform.htm

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
In response to Haggisman only;

Again, another well written webpage showing evidence of hybridization, concering species other than the ones being discussed.

Just as there are well written webpages on the hybridizing of European Cyprinids, and wild cats, there are well written studies and DNA tests that suggest that hybridization is not something that occurs with most Central American Cichlidae. For instance
http://hcgs.unh.edu/Staff/kocher/pdfs/McKaye2002.pdf

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
Originally posted by Rare Cichlids
Just as lions and tigers do not mate together in the wild, but do in captivity.
You couldn't be more right.
Fore as far I know, lions live in Africa and tigers in Asia. (Or did I missed the point here)
Unless they have some form of transportation I guess they will never see or meet up with each other.
A crossbreed between M.Johannii and M.Estherae is swimming in my tank.
Crossbreeding is (my opinion) a result of an overcrowded tank (or the lack of males or females) and would never happen in the wild between the very same two species.
In the wild, each one would have many more opportunities to meet a specimen of the opposite sex but SAME “species” instead of one of a DIFFERENT “species”.
We all know that it is possible to get hybrids so there is nothing new to discover by producing those unfortunate creatures.
However, things are far more worse if the aim of crossbreeding is commercial. I would just refer to the Red Blood Parrot. As in this case, the result will be the distribution of something that could never exist in the wild. The only reason for
those “crossbreeding addicts” is pursuing easy money.
I had to get this off my chest.

Jimmy

Last edited:
Well the lions and tigers thing seems to be a weak argument, since they dont live together in the wild.But if they did its possible they may breed(as the ferals and wildcats do).

As for the cichlids, well there may not be any evidence to say they do crossbreed but theres no evidence to suggest they dont.

As for parrots never being able to exist in the wild...well thats another one that can be debated.After all they may not even be hybrids.In fact these days many people tend to belive they are inbred red devils/midas cichlids.I guess its possible for fish to inbreed in the wild so you never know eh?

*edit*I dont have acrobat installed so I cant read that link you poster rarefish.

Last edited:

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
"As for the cichlids, well there may not be any evidence to say they do crossbreed but theres no evidence to suggest they dont."

If you were able to read the link you would see some evidence against crossbreeding.

I suppose none here have heard of the Asian Lion, which is most likely extinct by now. I honestly can't remember a lot about the species, and it may have been extinct for a little while now, or may still be present in small numbers. The comment would have been pointless if the species were not present together in the wild, either now or in the recent past.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
There is actually one kind of live bearer that is reported to hybridized naturally in the wild. The scientists couldn't figure out why they only find one sex of a fish and how it is possble to mulitply until they discover that it is actually a sex-biased hybrid of two distinct species.

If two closely related species exist in the same water, they will hybridize. But then in time they will be so blended in that scientists will call them the same species or variants of the same species. The distinction between species is a line drawn by the scientists who change the definition back and forth. Many Pseudotropheius zebra variants were one time considered a single species until recently they were divided up. Since they do cross breed given the opportunity, do you call them hybrid?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That is not a hybrid. The Amazon Molly is a species in its own right--the sperm of closely related Poecilia fish is used to merely stimulate the formation of the embryo, but is never used to actually create the embryo as you would expect in sexual reproduction. Read this month's TFH for more details.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store